Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Windows 7 vs. 8 on a Mid 2012 MBP?

chrischunli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
Hey all,

For school purposes, I need an install of Windows on my Macbook. Which version of Windows runs better under bootcamp as of now? Also, it is important to note that I only have a 120gb SSD, so install size could be a potential factor as well. Thanks everyone in advance!

Edit: I am strictly looking to find out which one runs more efficiently with the Mac, and which OS I should invest in. I am totally fine using the Windows 8 UI, so that's not an issue.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Windows 8. It's slightly faster in normal operations than Windows 7, but the real reason to get 8 (since you don't mind the UI) is to ensure a longer period of support. Windows 7 will be supported by Microsoft for the near future, but Windows 8 will be supported even longer.

For what it's worth... I have a mid-2012 13" cMBP and Windows 8 runs spectacularly on it.

Comment

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
If you need to run anything out of the ordinary, check first. In a course I teach a program that we use is not yet supported on Windows 8, and indeed it doesn't work. Professional software may move slowly since most businesses are doing a wait and see.

Microsoft is just dropping support for Windows XP now, so I'm sure Windows 7 will still be supported for well beyond your school years!

Comment

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Windows 7 will continue with full, "mainstream" support until January 2015 then go to extended support (where XP is now) until 2019. To see the difference between the two, MS provides a chart here.

In essence, you have nothing to worry about in terms of Windows 7 going unsupported. I have a feeling it's going to be this decade's XP, where the extended support phase might very well go past what MS is targeting right now.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.