Windows 7 vs 8 with Fusion/Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by treedesign, Jan 22, 2013.

1. treedesign macrumors newbie

I'm getting the 2013 iMac 2.9GHz. Which Windows is best to get? I'll be using it with either Bootcamp or VMware Fusion. Also, 32 bit or 64 bit?

I'm only a Mac user, so I won't miss any of the options that one has over the other. I'll be using Windows to test Powerpoint templates.

Thanks!

2. lsh macrumors 6502

I run Windows 8 (System builder license) 64 bit on my Macbook pro Retina.
    I installed it under bootcamp but use VMware too because I have some less sophisticated windows programs that have some features that only work if I boot into windows.
    But normally, using VMware to go back and forth is a much easier interface. If I didn't think I needed to boot into Windows, I'd just do a VMware install of windows 8.

So I think it depends on what you are planning to use Windows for as to whether or not you might want to boot into your computer as a windows PC.

As far as Win8 vs. Win7 - Win 8 is a nice release.

3. tmagman macrumors 6502

unless you're gaming, Parallels has been getting the better reviews on the latest releases, and head to head I much preferred parallels.

I installed Windows as a boot camp so that I can run native, then set up Parallels to simply access the existing bootcamp partition. You get both options then.

4. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

That's cool. I didn't realize you could use the same partition for Bootcamp and Parallels.