Windows 7 vs Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RestlessDeviant, Apr 26, 2009.

1. RestlessDeviant macrumors newbie

So i bought the Mac book Pro 17" 2.93 about 2 months ago and love it to bits.

BUT all i use on it is Windows 7 & cant see any reason to use Leopard.

I did buy it with the intention of using Leopard but as soon as I boot camped it with Windows 7 it is so nice to use, i never end up using the Mac partition.

I'm over the moon with the hardware: screen, speakers, keyboard etc ...... running windows.

Does anyone else find themselves in this situation?

Can anyone give a reason i might be missing to use Leopard over Windows 7??

2. hobes270 macrumors regular

NOT ME. I would never consider using windows as my primary OS. I only use it if needed. I cant stand windows, I think it is rather annoying.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Do you use Windows for certain software or do you just like the Windows experience better? I will admit I have Windows Vista installed under bootcamp on my computer, but I really only use Leopard, because my music files are only on my OSX partition. Are you in a similar boat?

Either way, as long as you're having an enjoyable experience using your computer I don't think it's a big deal that you're only using Windows. I do think you wasted a lot of money on a Mac, if you're only going to use Windows though.

4. Everlast macrumors newbie

Everlast

Nope, you don't miss anything, basically, windows just trying hard to copy whatever is good from the Leopard...

It's hard to just use a few words to tell you what is good in Leopard, there so many small touch, and some differences you may or may not like in the first week, you never know if you never try.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

I have a 20GB windows partition with games. I boot into it about once every two weeks. But all my school and work stuff is done in OSX. I like to keep school/work and games separate, so if windows ****s up my work environment isn't affected.

7. m1stake macrumors 68000

The only thing I use my G4 for is the internet. I hardly use OSX anymore. It's good for iTunes I guess.

8. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

I do not have this problem at all. I was a long time Mac hater but have recently converted have playing around with Hackintosh and then finally buying my own MBP. I have Windows 7 installed and I literally hate booting up into and I even feel guilty, like I'm doing my beautiful machine a disservice by defiling it with Windows. LOL.

But in all seriousness I hate Windows 7 on my mac, it runs clunky and hot, and is not nearly as streamlined as Leopard is. All in all, if I could, I would do away with windows entirely. :apple:

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I use both pretty evenly. Windows 7 has my games (professional competitor) and Leopard has my Xcode and Final Cut :p.

10. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I only use my windows XP for programs that are not mac compatible. otherwise, all my work is in leopard. As some guys said it is good that you are enjoying the experience, however if you like Windows 7 that much, you should have bought a PC. As with the same amount of money you could have had a laptop with quad core, blue ray, and few things i would have liked in my current MBP.

11. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

If you are a "professional competitor" I hope you don't compete using your MBP or MacPro?

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Pardon me for being ignorant, but do games work properly in Windows 7? Since it's a beta/RC and all?

Anyway, Windows 7 does seem pretty awesome. But if you like it, hey, no can force you to think otherwise. :rolleyes:

13. kolax macrumors G3

Why not? MacBook Pro can handle games fine.

14. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I only use windows for games pretty much..but I have a very customized windows environment set up that suits my needs.

I enjoy using leopard far more though.

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

It's Vista, but better. It runs all of my games from 1997 onward, just like Vista.

16. magamo macrumors 6502

This thread made me want to know more about Windows 7. I don't like or dislike older Windows per se. OS X looked nicer in terms of aesthetics and white MB was cuter than other laptops, so I converted (or returned if you will because I had been using Performa years ago).

The TRIM feature is appealing, but are there any other significant improvements/new features? Time to google...

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You'll say Windows 7 is good but you'll freak out about Vista? They're practically the same thing! Man, will you believe anything the media is saying...

18. JD92, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  19. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

are we seriously going to make another thread which basically says:

your opinion sucks. mine is better.

seriously. at least it hasn't gotten to the 300 words or more posters yet.

20. BlueSkyBlueWind macrumors newbie

I don't feel that OSX is particularly superior to Windows. Windows 7 is pretty darn good and from my experience so far even if it's only beta, it's more stable than OSX.

I do have Win7 on bootcamp on my MBP, but for whatever reason, the touchpad is not working properly that I don't use it as often as OSX, but I do see that Windows in general have many points that are superior to OSX. (And of course, vice versa.)

One notable thing that I don't like about OSX is the application window management. Things like not being able to resize the window from every angle, not being able to bring up the app window automatically after minimizing it, etc annoys me a lot. I'd think that the Windows copied Mac's original GUI, but if Windows made good enhancements on top, Mac should throw away ego and follow the suit, too. The folder management (in Finder vs. Explorer) is much better on Windows, in my opinion.

And why the heck my MPB never comes back alive after going "forced" hibernation" from depleted battery???

Also... there are soooooooo many people who buy Mac just because of its look, not because of OSX. So if people wants to install Win7 on MB/MBP, don't ditch them and say "you wasted your money - just buy a PC." If there was a single PC that is as good looking as Mac, then they would. To each, their own.

21. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well, I've been using Windows 7 on my Dell M4400 for about as long as the beta's been out; it feels like it could be inspired by Leopard, but at the same time the UI feels like an evolution out of Vista. I've worked on some iMacs and eMacs with the office applications (from both parties); however, since I made my partition I've been typing on Jarte and viewing Office documents with the free document viewer from Microsoft - I may or may not use Office unless I happen to see another giant MS Office sale.

Also, unlike Vista and XP, I have not found the UI displeasing. Vista and XP I switched IMMEDIATELY back to the Windows Classic; sure, in Windows 7 I don't have a choice, but at the same time if I didn't like the UI I could go back to Vista Business anytime I wanted.

And as for gaming on 7? Well... my graphics accelerator is the Quadro 770FX, so my games run alright, but nothing that makes me want to compare the two OSes in a benchmark. Running Lost Coast at the same settings (the lowest AA offered, I might add) there were a few more frames on Vista, but still well over 120 FPS.

I don't particularly like running certain Windows programs on the Mac. But at the same time, there are some OSX apps I can't live without.. Final Cut Studio, anyone :D

22. TennisandMusic

Yeah I'm using a windows 7 desktop and two mac's. But my mac's are collecting dust unless I absolutely need to use them (XCode mainly). The windows box just does EVERYTHING better. Video editing, graphics, programming etc. Window's 7 just seems completely superior. The way the new taskbar allows you to quickly preview running apps, so you can check other apps without actually switching is BRILLIANT. It has already saved me quite a bit of time. Not to mention if you have several windows of an app open you can select a single one to open, instead of just picking the app as one chunk, like in OSX.

Windows 7 so far makes OSX feel like an extremely old OS. The built in software like iMovie is fairly worthless except to the most casual users, and even then AVCHD just doesn't work well whatsoever. In Windows I can run AVCHD files natively in Windows Media Player and they look gorgeous. It just goes on and on this way. I am really looking forward to the retail version of Windows 7, and I am also greatly looking forward to Snow Leopard. I hope Apple has a few surprises up their sleeves. They're going to need it.

23. RestlessDeviant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies; I’m glad I’m not the only Mac owner who has fallen for Windows 7. People here mention using the OSX for Final Cut, and that was always my plan, but having started with Sony Vegas it’s becoming easier just to stick with that. AVCHD from a Sony SR12 camcorder does not work with Final Cut no matter what I try.

People who wonder why I didn’t just buy a PC.... I didn’t just buy the macbook pro for the OSX, the Hardware config matched exactly what I’m after.... 1920x1200 screen, low weight, long battery life, magnetically shielded power supply, & lots of power under the hood.

Thanks for the input, but so far Windows 7 seems to be just a straight up the more useful OS that runs much more then the OSX.

24. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Have you used both? They may be built on the same code, and they may look similar, but the performance difference is drastic. I've benchmarked it on the same machine with OS X, Win7 64, and Vista 64 using synthetic and actual applications (mostly engineering) and Win7 kills Vista, and is tit for tat with OS X. Very impressive.

I think you're missing out by not playing with OS X a bit, but hey, if 7 works for you, more power to ya! It is a great OS, and Sony Vegas is really sweet; it was my primary NLE before I switched over to FCP for editing.

25. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Have you tried everything with Log and Transfer? A quick google yielded the information that you can't set In or Out points... You have to transfer the whole clip.

And Vegas 7 does AVCHD nativly?