Windows 7 vs OSX

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacFanUK, Nov 5, 2009.

1. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I currently have an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz PC with 6GB Ram, 2 x 500GB Hard Drives and a Radeon HD3650 512MB Graphics Card and I currently have OSX 10.5.8 installed.

I am having some issues with it (Graphics card not 100% compatible and Office 2008 has database errors) so I've been contemplating getting rid of OSX and installing Windows 7 instead. However, I was wondering what would you guys do?

I love OSX and I will more than likely end up buying a Mac in the new year (probably a MBP) and I love having a Mac desktop, but if I have to do a reinstall I can't be bothered with the amount of hassle it took to get the graphics card working, so a Windows install would be easier (and would then give me dual displays).

Anyway, your thoughts would be great :)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Have you tried OpenOffice, this is the main problem with Hackintoshing, i.e. if it's your primary machine and something won't work.

3. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

Sounds like a good idea. :)
    Put Win7 on the PC and get a Mac which works perfectly with MacOS.

4. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Yeah, I don't really like OpenOffice tbh. Office 2008 does work but everytime I start it up (i.e. word or excel) it comes up with a database error, you click ok, and it opens fine. It's just annoying :)

5. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

How about sell my pc and get a mac mini or something :D

6. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

That would work too of course, with using BootCamp for Win.
    I just like to have those two things (Win and MacOS) each on a separate computer.

7. MacFanUK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've been toying with the idea of getting a mini for a while but maybe I should keep what I've got for now and wait til I can afford a Mac Pro (my dream machine).