Windows 7 w/Parallels VM size...Put it on SSD??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tin88, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Tin88 macrumors member

I have windows 7 and am trying to find out what ppl have done and the size of Windows 7 VM is. Anyone that has an SSD have you moved VM to the SSD or left it on the platter? Im looking at about 27GB for the Win 7 VM.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How big is your SSD? How much does it have free space? How often do you run the VM? Those questions should help you determining what to do.

3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

My Parallels Windows 7 VM is roughly 22GB in size. I do not have an SSD though, so I can't comment on that.
    What size is your SSD?

4. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

Its 120GB... but like you said I dont use it that much at least not recently. Im having issues with SSD setup and im trying to see what to put on the SSD. I used CCC to clone files and OSX hadnt transferred so i did an External drive install..But for some reason my System settings and preferences didnt transfer. Anything you know that im doin wrong?

5. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I run Windows from bootcamp and the SSD off course everything else would be ridiculous. Switching OS or starting it up in VMware just takes worlds longer when run of the HDD. What is the point of having a SSD if you do that?
    The only reason to put it on the HDD is if you only need it once every few weeks and/or have very little space on the SSD.

6. Tin88 thread starter macrumors member

Ya i figured id put it on the SSD just wanted to get size info from ppl. I usually use it to Backup my Blackberry(which i do like monthly).

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I have a variety of VMs on an external Western Digital firewire-equipped hard disk. VMWare runs these beautifully. I much prefer this approach to Boot Camp. For one thing, I need multiple VMs in my work. And I like to be able to hot-key between VMs and OS X... and between each other.

SSD would scream, in theory... but you'll be limited by interface bandwidth. Now, Thunderbolt would eliminate that bottleneck handily.

8. ShootingStars macrumors member

I have an Intel 160GB G2 SSD

I believe W7 installation is about 5-6 GB and you get to choose how much space you want to allocate for the VM Hard Drive, so anything above 10 GB is fine, but I recommended 20 GB+, depending on what you want to put it there

I already tried a W7 installation with parallels so I know this first hand :cool:

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on the SSD. Very few can saturate the SATA 3Gb/s and I have yet to see an SSD that maxes out SATA 6Gb/s. Thunderbolt is only 10Gb/s and there are several PCIe SSDs that can deliver over 20Gb/s.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Mine is 18GB and I have it stored on my Optibay HDD.

11. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Uh...what?

Anandtech Review of OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

550MB/s. That's pretty damn close to maxing SATA III 6Gb/s.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Close, but not maxing it out. That means the interface is not the bottleneck but the SSD is.