windows 7 what is the hype?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by flyguy206, Sep 28, 2009.

1. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why not keep your insight for this Windows 7 thread you just posted in?

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it's actually entirely uniformly better than prior releases, this hasn't happened since... erm, well 3.1 I suppose.

It's ok, don't get me wrong I much prefer snow leopard, but for the first time I can use windows without getting incredibly angry at it and that's something.

Let them have their fanfare, kicking up a fuss just makes you look like an epic fanboy.

4. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Cos it looks really very good.

And after the mess that is Apple's Vista... sorry, Snow Leopard, it's exciting to see that MS are finally stepping up to the mark.

5. tooz macrumors 6502

what makes you say snow Leopard is a failure like Vista? I have been running it from day 1 and have had no issues what-so-ever, and what did you expect for $29?

6. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

I actually like Snow Leopard, just the colours threw me off a bit at first, but now I'm used to it.. I can't wait to try Windows 7 from all the hype I've heard about it.

7. tooz macrumors 6502

meh, it's ok. i really don't see what all the hype is about

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Vista = over promised, under-delivered (by 5 years) a buggy, bloated OS that was slow, failed to run on most of the existing hardware and introduced the aggravating UAC. Oh year they also blatantly copied apple's UI

Snow Leopard = few new consumer features but apple never promised SL to have lots of end user feature, it was ontime and under priced (26 bucks). Apple delivered an OS that works well, provides the underlying base for newer computers most apps work faster and it consumes less resources then its predecessor

So year I can see how you would make the SL to Vista comparison :rolleyes:

9. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm kind of on the fence to this win7 hype. Not sure to make of it.

I see many posts here and a couple of other mac centric sites stating how much better win7 is and how "excited" they are. I tried the beta and was underwhelmed. Sure its better then Vista but so isn't windows XP which is 8 years old. While win7 seems to resolve some of the glaring issues of Vista its still a very bloated OS and doesn't run as well as OSX or Ubuntu (my second favorite OS) The security issue along with viruses and malware make it a pain to work with like any windows OS.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something but I can't see spending several hundred dollars on an OS that is easily compromised by malware.

11. yanquis macrumors regular

i'm not sure how easily compromised it is. that seems largely a myth to me. i havent had a problem with malware since i was a kid. get avast or an equivalent free antivirus, start it up, & forget about it.

windows 7 will probably not impress a mac user unless you had to suffer through vista in the early stages. it's a very nice, clean, fast, elegant interface, with some nice touches on the edges. (i love, for example, the 'aero snap' stuff -- seems like such a small touch but a huge difference in the experience). the 'hype' is simply that microsoft finally made a nice OS. 7 isn't anything truly special except in comparison to the dredge that came before it. the fact that it's actually good is so shocking to everyone that it seems utterly fantastic.

it is a great OS btw, but not worth $200 or whatever the insane price is for 64 bit unless you're a gamer. i'll still probably buy it, just because i'm a completist...

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It really is not that bloated I have it for a while on an older Athlon 64 3000+ with 1.5GB RAM and it runs just as fast as XP SP3 did. I also run it on my gaming rig (dumped XP) and it is quite snappy. Boot up and shut down times are also much quicker than in XP/Vista. If you have a PC that came with Vista I would heartily recommend the upgrade. If it came with XP you may want to upgrade if the GPU, CPU and RAM are good enough and Aero will function.

That is if you get the retail copy. People whom know about it will buy the OEM version from Newegg or some other store that carries it for about half the price.

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I think the only the reason Windows 7 has enjoyed this much hype is largely due to the failure of Vista. If Windows 7 had followed up a solid, stable release that did what it was s'posed to, it wouldn't be hyped so much.

But I don't really understand why people use the "Upgrade because Windows 7 is so much better than Vista!" argument. Windows 7 is what Vista should have, five years ago when they promised it and still leaves features out.

14. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I sure hope Microsoft does better with 7 then with this pile of BS. This thing had horrid acting, TONS of mistakes (I love at the beginning when the guy says to install Windows 7 and there is a voice overlay that is obviously not his saying "Call customer support if you have problems"), like the Laptop cover being up or down, things cut and spliced wrong, etc. Whoever wrote it must assume we all have a sleeping disorder and need to be bored to sleep. 6 minutes of utter hell. This could have been done in a quick 30 second clip and gotten the same information across.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

On the same token Vista was needed by microsoft to be the OS that got burned for some of the massive chanced that needed to take place.
    Come from my GF father who is the head of an IT department and who system run in Vista and he played on W7 even says at launch Vista had lots of problem but now the change from Vista to 7 is not going to be as huge just Microsoft sheding the image.

I saw this at launch of Vista and that is Vista was designed to be nothing more than a bridge connecting XP to Windows 7. A lot like windows ME was a bridge from the Windows 9.x to NT and to top it off ME and Vista both took all the heat for the change. Not the real OS that was replacing the predicesore. Remember people hated XP when if first came out.

16. thefnshow macrumors regular

i like vista..alot of the problem were people using older hardware that there wern't drivers for and people cried saying it was microsoft's fault when in reality it was the manufacturer's fault..after service pack 1 came out it was better...regarding the hype...it runs better,looks better,faster than vista...in the end you mac guys will still run it through boot camp

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Not really.... Vista's a solid OS. The problems people perceive with it are 2-fold;

1 - Driver incompatibilities. Microsoft re-wrote numerous parts of how the driver sub-system works, including audio and graphics. Until the hardware manufacturers got new drivers out, Vista had horrible support for legacy hardware. That's the price of progress, one which Apple doesn't have to worry about because they a) only have a limited hardware base to support, and b) are not afraid to make obsolete 3 year old hardware.

2 - It's slow if you use it with anything less then 2 gigs of ram, and it really should have 4. Service pack 1 fixed some issues, and it's now usable with 1 gig of ram, but just barely. Kind of how SL trimmed the bloat of Leopard, Windows 7 is thinning Vista, so that it can run faster.

Otherwise Vista is a good OS. As the part time IT department for a small business, Windows XP is a pain to administer, simply because Vista has so many features that XP didn't have.

18. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Can't believe that some trolls are calling SL "Apple's Vista". How is it that? Is there a mass downgrading to Leopard going on? I've had SL installed for three weeks or so - absolutely no problems and a much faster Mac.

Windows 7 looks good and will be so. Mac users (me included) have to accept that there are things that both OSs do that are better than the other...

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

one thing for sure is window 7 requires a lot less over head than Vista. My computer would be at the low end of what would run well on vista but it handles 7 with out a hitch. The only major upgrade I need to really do to make it handle 7 better is to double the ram up to 2 gigs.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I agree that was a huge issue about Vista is Microsoft started to dumb legacy support. Something that just needs to be done because that legacy code is adding a lot of bloat to each new OS. And best part is they let Vista get burned for it. Windows 7 comes out and most of the problems are fixed already so the average dumb consumer thinks it is great and really it was just it took time for everyone to catch up with the loss of legacy code to support.

I think it is time for Microsoft to dump all support for windows 9.x code. If it required 9.x code to work it should be dumped. Apple did something like that when they went from OS9 to OSX. People were pissed about the that legacy code not be support but they did get over it.

Legacy code because a huge dead weight after a while because no one bothers to update the code because they do not have to. This just forces the issue.

21. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Same as every other windows release. Lotta hot air. Nothing to see here, move along.

22. jason1222 macrumors newbie

Windows 7 seems to improve usability over Vista which is not a bad thing at all. Vista had so much criticism that you can't do anything but celebrate Windows 7.