Windows 7 x64 Bootcamp + WMC = Stutter

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by shortcut3d, Sep 22, 2011.

1. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

I'm currently having serious issues with stuttering playback of Live TV in Media Center under Windows 7 64-bit. The primary issue appears to be related to a 29/59 frame rate issue (bug) with some HD content (HBO and Cinemax).

Native Windows 7 users with similar or lesser Intel systems (i3s with Intel HD2000s) do not exhibit this problem.

Configuration:
    2011 Mac Mini Server i7 2.0GHz Quad core
    Integrated Intel HD 3000 Graphics
    16GB RAM (8GB x 2)
    240GB OCZ Vertex 3 MAX IOPs (120GB OSX Lion 10.7.1 / 120GB Windows 7 x64)
    750GB 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black (formatted in NTFS 64k blocks, Recorded TV)
    HDHomeRun Prime 3CC CableCARD Tunner (Direct Connect to PC)
    Shark007 Codec Pack

*All software and drivers are up to date from Bootcamp 4.0, Microsoft, and Manufacturer direct.

**IDE Mode, Write Caching: Disabled (Current Setting), Drive tested with BlackMagic Diskspeed, and memory tested with Rember.

***Disabled all settings under Media > Image Enhancements (should fix 29/59 issue according to Windows 7 forums) and set to Max Performance

****Disabled Network Throttling and set to EEE(Energy Savings) Max Performance

I've also set Microsoft Security Essentials exceptions for .WTV and for the entire D: drive. The Microsoft Firewall is off for the direct Gigabit connection to the HDHomeRun Prime. Indexing is off on all drives.

Yesterday I moved the recording drive to C: (OCZ SSD) and the stutter was far less. Then I disabled Write Caching and it was essentially gone except the rare appearance of a dropped frame every so often. Definitely acceptable. So I moved the recording drive back to D: (WD HDD) and disabled Write Caching and it still worked.

This morning after returning from a cold boot the stutter issue is back in a bad way. Far worse than ever. I checked all the changes made yesterday and found Write Caching was enabled again :confused:

I disabled Write Caching and went through all other changes to re-apply. However, the stutter is still there and its magnified.

The only thing I can think of is I had optimize Media Center checked and it ran over night and changed something.

Any suggestions or next steps are appreciated. I'm at the end of my rope here.

2. shortcut3d thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It appears a good amount of the stutter was a result of 64k blocks. Apparently this helps native Windows 7 recording and playback, but hurts bootcamp. I saw only 16MBps read real world file copy with 64k blocks. Jumped to 80MBps with default 4k blocks. Likely limited by the FW800 destination drive.

Anything I can do to improve disk performance?