Windows 7 x64 on MacBook Pro 3,1

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lordimac, Dec 22, 2009.

1. lordimac macrumors newbie

Hey there,
    sorry for my English, I'm from Germany :)

Since yesterday I'm trying to install Windows 7 x64 on my MacBook pro Mid 2007 (3,1). My internal Superdrive doesn't work anymore, so the first Thing I've tried was a USB Install from an 8GB USB Stick. That failed because I could not boot the Windows Installation from this Device. After using Google many Times i decited to buy an external DVD Drive. So i went to the next Electronic Store an buyed an external Samsung DVD-RW (slim external Super WriteMaster).

I connected the external Drive and tried to boot the Windows 7 x64 from DVD (I'm using an official MSDN Image). But this also failed :( I tried to run the Bootcamp Assistent, clicked Install Windows now and my Mac rebootet. After the Reboot my Mac switched between the normal Boot-Apple and an interrogation mark (during this my external DVD Drive treid to read some Data, it rotates the DVD).

So, after this I've booted into OSX again and tried to set the Startup Volume to this DVD. Same Finish :(

Then I installed rEFIt and tried to boot the DVD with rEFIt. My rEFIt found some Bootloaders (?) and I tried them.

1. Boot Windows from CD
    2. Boot Legacy OS from EFISECTOR
    3. EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI

1st and 2nd ended up with an blinking Cursor at the top left Corner.

3rd Method "started" the Windows Installation -> "Press any Key to boot from DVD..." and "Windows is loading files" So I was happy ... but then it stucks at the End of "Windows is loading files".

I also tried this (didn't had this Error, but just tried it) but it ended up with the blinking Cursor.

And now ... I don't know more :( Tried also to Install Windows 7 32bit but with same Result. Blinking Cursor or switching between Apple/interrogation mark.

So hopefully someone here can help me with this.

Regards, lordimac

2. lordimac thread starter macrumors newbie

So, today i went again to the Electronics Store and changed the external Samsung DVD Drive to an Buffalo DVSM-PN58U2V but with the same Result as explaindes in my initial Post. :(

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

There are no official Boot Camp drivers for Windows 7. There may also need to be an update for the setup assistant responsible for creating the partition. It doesn't appear that your computer is one of the ones listed at the bottom of that article so chances are it'll work...eventually.

4. lordimac thread starter macrumors newbie

There are so much Reports around the World that they installed Windows 7 on this Kind of MacBook, but for me it doesn't work and I think this is an Issue with the broken internal Superdrive.

edit:
    I tried to install Windows XP (which is officially supported by Apple for this MacBook!) and this Boot also fails with blinking Cursor in the top left Corner. If I press alt during the Startup of my Mac OSX doesn't recognize the CD but If i load rEFIt then I can switch to the CD but anyway, the Boot fails.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

6. lordimac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks weckart, I will give Method #2 a try. Did you used your internal Superdrive or an external DVD Drive?

edit: With this Method (#2) I get an blinking Cursor at top left corner :( I think it's really an Issue with the DVD Drive. Seems to be that it isn't possible to boot from an external Drive with this MacBook (also not XP). :(

Maybe I'm trying to disable the internal Superdrive ... later or I'm just waiting for the Repair ...

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I think you should try to get the boot from USB flash to work. It may be that you need to modify that installer the same way you have to change the DVD installer...

Or, can you try a 32 bit version from USB?

if you do choose to disable the Superdrive, just follow the iFixit guide and just disconnect the cables from it...

B

8. lordimac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks balamw, but 32bit is the same :(

I tried to disconnect the internal Superdrive but without an Result. It seems to be that my MacBook stil tries to fallback on the internal Drive. I just thought, OK, lets open the external Buffalo Drive to take a look inside at the Connector. Damn it ... it isn't the same as the Superdrive Connector :(

I ordered a new Superdrive ... should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Stay tuned ...

9. lordimac thread starter macrumors newbie