Windows 7 x64 partition on Boot Camp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by leanmachine, Oct 30, 2009.

1. leanmachine macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forum and the Mac world! I just got my first MBP 15 a few days ago, and I've only begun playing with it.

I used Boot Camp to install Win 7 x64 on a partition, and I got the OS and the drivers to work just fine. (I also have it installed on a Parallels Virutal machine, but I needed the dedicated partition for work.)

My only problem is that when I boot into Win 7, I get a screen that has a cursor flashing for about 2 and a half minutes. After that time, the Windows logo appears and it boots just fine. Is this common, or am I missing something here? It behooves me that it takes around 3 to 3 and a half minutes for Win 7 to boot up after hitting the power button.

2. wesrk macrumors 6502a

do you have a legal copy of Win7?
    The symptoms you describe sound a lot like what people that had a pirate copy of Win7 and then had to use an activator went trough. I'm not saying this is your case, just that it sounds similar.

3. leanmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Lets just say I have an "activated" copy that I downloaded for free from a "sharing" site.

Is this what's going on during that time? I just tried pulling up a search on here to find the symptoms that you described, and I can't find it? Do you know of a link to a thread in which people had this same problem with pirated copies? TIA

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

LOL So you do have a pirated/pre-activated copy of Windows 7! :p

Yes, if there is the cursor blinking at the top left corner for a few minutes, it's because it's the loader/patch doing it's thing. This also happens with users who use Linux/Ubuntu who have their own loading options which does the same thing. If you get a copy of the RC, it won't happen.

5. samh macrumors 6502

Just fyi, so you don't look like an idiot in front of somebody who actually does care...

http://onelook.com/?w=behoove
    Quick definitions (behoove)
    ▸ verb: be appropriate or necessary ("it behooves us to reflect on this matter")

6. leanmachine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help! I'll be getting a legit copy soon from work to resolve this.