Windows 7 x64 vs Vista x64 - Left 4 Dead slower?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by drlunanerd, Mar 6, 2009.

1. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I'm playing Left 4 Dead on Windows 7 x64. Frame rates are down compared to Vista x64 SP1. Not what I was expecting. Playing both on same low quality settings.

I'm running on a Radeon x1600 (MacBook Pro). As far I remember the graphics drivers are the same version under 7 and Vista (i.e. the Boot Camp driver).

Does anyone know how to speed things up? Are there newer drivers available for the Radeon X1600 (possibly hacked ones)? :confused: :)

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Have you tried to stop the Themes service. I have problems running COD4 which seem to go away if this service isn't running. I'm running that on a i7 PC though and not on my MBP but it could be a common issue with Windows 7 during the beta phase.

3. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Thanks for the tip :)
    However I think I will revert back to Vista, but slim it down (it takes too much disk space as it is).

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

5. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

That is definitely a driver issue. Win7 64 and Vista64 fps performance are pretty much the same, so it sounds like there's a driver problem going on here (no surprise, it is a beta OS after all). Have you tried installing the latest driver from the ATI site (just use the Vista64 driver)?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

6. drlunanerd thread starter macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Thanks. Yeah I tried that but got this:
    "Currently AMD does not provide any driver support for Mobility Radeon™ products. All driver and technical support for Mobility Radeon™ products is provided by the original laptop or notebook manufacturer. The drivers that are available for download at ati.amd.com are for desktop products only."