Windows 7 XP Mode Questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SnowLeopard2008, Jul 4, 2009.

1. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm currently in the process of developing for the NIOS embedded processor platform. The software development suite runs much better on XP (which I have) but I don't want to think that I cut off 20GB of my HD just for that. I want to justify that by installing Windows 7 and using XP mode for my development needs. Is this smart? For previous users of XP mode, is it fast enough? I'm not running any games, just Xcode-like stuff and maybe a simulator (probably not). Is XP mode suitable for me? What are your suggestions, use XP or Win 7?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sounds like you might be a candidate for TinyXP

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm kind of hesitant to bust out Windows because my wireless network was attacked from the inside by a virus on my Mom's Dell. It shut down every few minutes. And I was thinking if I was bothering to install Windows, I might as well get the full Windows feel and not some 5+ year OS that has been modified and gutted. Thanks for helping organize my thoughts. It's kind of *early* so yea... 1am in the morning.

For confirmation, XP mode does work with the RC release right?

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

7 RC works excellently and XP mode is ok. You download the Virtual PC software and XP Pro image from Microsoft for 7 RC. Like Parallels on the Mac it's brisk enough for general use but not really suitable for a flight sim which 7 should run fine.

5. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Thanks, it's probably a really light simulator and I probably won't use it. Did anyone encounter the odd "Choose CD Boot type" error while booting from the install disc and the keyboard+mouse doesn't work. I remember installing W7 on my MacBook and once it booted from the disc, it displayed a screen saying "Choose cd boot type" and options of 1 and 2. Except the keyboard+mouse didn't work.

6. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Help! I installed Winows 7 x64 and Boot Camp drivers from my restore discs. The 9600M GT isn't showing up, any solutions? I went to the restore disc and manually selected the installer package called "BootCamp64". Why isn't my 9600M GT showing up?

7. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

You have to have signed drivers for Win7 64 bit. There's a thread here which might help you.

8. SnowLeopard2008 thread starter macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I got it. I just went back to my Boot Camp driver disc and manually selected the driver and installed it. W7 recognized that I had "new" hardware so now my index rating is 5.9, which I think is pretty high?