Windows 7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackajesusfreak, Dec 15, 2010.

1. jackajesusfreak macrumors member

My MacPro is running 10.6.5 OSX Which Windows should I purchase 32 or 64 bit?
    Thanks,
    Jack

2. simsaladimbamba

That is up to you and if you have applications and drivers for your peripherals for 64 bit Windows.

Anyway, the Mac you have can run Windows 7 in 64 bit, unless you have a Core Duo CPU, but even the first Mac Pro 1,1 had a 64 but CPU (Xeon 5150).

Kudos to your thread title.

3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

if you have more then 2gb [of ram] u need 64 if you have 2gb you need 32.

4. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I use win 7 for Internet explored and that's it (via parallels) mostly for sites that utilize active x controls....I had a copy I got throguh student pricing for like $30 so for me it was worth it....other than watching my son via full screen on IE, there is not much other use for it, for me.....works great and boots fast....

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

X64 vs. 32bit all comes down to how much ram you have installed. 32bit windows cannot access anything over 4gb, and after remove the ram for the GPU and some overhead by windows, you're talking about 2.75 (or there abouts) of gigabytes of ram.

6. jackajesusfreak thread starter macrumors member

christopher,
    great point! I know I won't get a copy for 30 bucks, and why take up the extra space when I would really not have any 'specific' use for it, per say.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why ask which version of windows to buy then? :confused:

Personally, I prefer using windows under vmware as opposed to boot camp because I get keep using OSX and I can quickly jump over to windows when I need too. The advantage of bootcamp is windows gets direct access to the hardware, which helps games and other apps that need that access.

8. jackajesusfreak thread starter macrumors member

This is my first Mac. Learning as I go. Thought Windows 7 might be nice to have as I understand it is much more stable than any of the past versions. After seeing some of the posts and how, unless you are doing 'such and such' it's really not worth having it, it made me rethink the hundred dollar expense. For me, I guess it would be kind of a waste and sit idle most of the time because it's dangerous to surf with it (viruses), and I'm not a gaming person.