Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Thunderchicken, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Thunderchicken macrumors member

Hi all,
    What is the minimum Windows 7 x64 I can get away with cause I really don't want to pay the coin for the Pro version?

By the way I have an iMac i7

Thx

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can definitely install Windows 7 Home Premium without any issues, unless you need some of the functions provided by Pro.

I would recommend you stick with a retail version over an OEM/System Builder Edition. OEM is not licensed to end users and is difficult to transfer and re-activate should you ever want to change your install.

If you must go "off license" use a retail upgrade edition and use the clean install instructions available from WinSuperSite and other palces.

B

3. nedz06 macrumors newbie

Hi, Will Win 7 ultimate work on Mac Books?

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It will work but make sure you have a minimum for 6 gb ram and at least 50 gb for the OS/software partition (more if you want to store music, photos, etc on that same partition).

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I was running Ultimate via Boot Camp and occasionally via VMWare just fine with 4 GB. It really depends on what it is you are doing in Windows.

I agree with more RAM is better though. Any modern Windows will suffer if starved of resources either RAM or HDD space.

B

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Hell, I've managed to run Windows 7 fine on 1GB of RAM on my HP Pavillion laptop before it gave up the ghost and I got a MacBook Pro (with Windows 7 on it, of course :p).

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Beta 1 was released in January 2009, so either you work for Microsoft or are stretching the truth a bit. :p

B