Windows 7x64 Late 2008 MBP Freezing

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ninjapenguinart, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

Hello,

I have been experiencing consistent freezing on my MBP whenever I am in Win 7 and surfing the web usually. I have tried searching the web, but every place I go to states just updating the nvidia drivers will fix this problem, which I have done, but the problem is still there. I was wondering if anyone has found a better solution or is everyone else just hoping when they officially support windows 7 they will fix this problem?

Thank You in Advance

2. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

Yes, it's a major problem with Windows 7 (32 & 64-Bit) right now...it's either Windows 7 itself or some bad software...I just actually got just got done reading through 20 pages looking for an answer over at "Windows7Forums" and "the big bupkis, nada, zilch". Mine just started freezing randomly within minutes of cold boot the day before yesterday and won't stop (about to re-install when I get off work). What I know is that it is not because of NVIDIA because ATI users experience this alike. It's not anything Intel either (CPU, Wireless, Ethernet or any other Intel peripheral causing the problem)...I'm 90% sure of that anyways...

What I think it could be is a bad recent Windows Update, Kaspersky Anti-Virus v.9.0.0.736-CF2, uTorrent v.1.8.5, Outpost Firewall Pro v.6.7.1.2983.450.0714 or maybe even my 250GB Western Digital Passport external hard-drive.

Whatever the problem, it's likely software based...all I can say is for me it started happening after I hooked up my Passport like normal (which I've done many times before, and even had Kaspersky scan a few folders on it) and nothing dramatic happened back then, but this last time it flipped out and is now unusable...non-responsive unrecoverable freeze where only the mouse moves but nothing else responds.

Running Windows 7 RTM 32-Bit all updates installed with all mentioned software in addition to the usual garbage-ware, Adobe Reader v.9.2, VLC v.1.0.3, Microsoft Office 2007 SP2, that's about it. It was a relatively new install anyway, so what a collossal waste of time for me as usual with Windoze.

Let me know if you have any of this software in common or you use WD external hard-drives also and it'll help us figure this out.

3. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

I have a WD Passport as well, and I have been experiencing weird things with it like it won't eject when nothing is running, but it says that stuff within it is running. So there is a good chance it's the WD.

4. Nano2k macrumors regular

Windows takes the blame again for crappy software... Kaspersky, resource hog, extra firewall, unnecessary extra resource hog...

So your passport drive messes up Windows but it's Windows fault interesting.

Windows locking = hardware problem, driver problem or buggy software installed.

5. ninjapenguinart thread starter macrumors regular

It's not really Windows fault as much as it is WD's fault if it's the thing causing the problem, because I don't have any of the other software.

6. neowillendit macrumors member

neowillendit

Unecessary and extra?...if only you knew, but I don't care to enlighten you based on you judging me, you already know more than me apparently, but tell me this...why is it not M$'s fault for maintaining an OS that freezes even after the incompatible hardware has been removed forcefully? Why does Windows 7 (thankfully) work fine on my other Windoze 7 machine (which is the 64-Bit)? Better yet, tell me why it's listed here AS compatible:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/co...age Devices&subcategory=Hard Drives, External

Mine's the second one listed and if you open the product link, it'll show's compatible for 32-Bit AND 64-Bit. Defend M$ blindly all you want, like I used to before OS X but I can't and won't anymore. They take undeserved heat all the time for bad video drivers and extra security feautures that are annoying but the fact remains that Windows is fragile and confused. I'd enlighten you further with precise examples but you're not likely the type that can be talked to, but simply talked at.

I should've known it'd be my Passport that sparked everything going downhill. I don't know what I'm supposed to do without my external hard drives. They worked fine when I installed every piece of my hardware's drivers and all my software from them both...now they wig-out.

Now we know...sad fact is even after Windoze 7 wigged-out and I removed the Passport right away...I can't do anything as everything freezes as previous stated even without the hard drive re-attached.

Last point to make...it's not Western Digital's fault either when their products are reliable with previous Windows OS's and they are one of the undisputed leaders in magnetic storage.

7. Laithe macrumors newbie

Which Driver did you get?

Hey, I just had this problem and fixed it myself. I too managed to fix it just by going to nvidia and finding the newest driver myself. Did you do this to get the newest driver? Windows 7 can't find it, and apple certainly isn't coming with it.