Windows 7x64 will not restart or shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by skeewiff, Jun 21, 2010.

1. skeewiff macrumors newbie

Hi all.

Just making the transition over to mac ater 16 years of windows! Loving OSX, but having a few problems getting W7x64 working well at all.

Essentially, as the title suggests, I am unable to restart, shutdown or sleep My Mac PRO 8 core from Windows 7x64. OSX works fine, and i can boot into W7 with thge alt key, but when I attempt to leave windows, it goes through the motions, eventually gets to a black screen and hangs & I am forced to hard reboot.

I suspect the NVIDIA 2x 120 cards I have in the macpro are the culprit, as the PC side of things work fine until the apple bootcamp drivers are installed. I have tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers and then wiping the PC with driver swiper, and this works for a short while. But it seems even the WHQL Windows drivers or the latest NVIDIA drivers have the same effect, and it is not long until the problem turns up again and I am unable to restart or shutdown. I have also disables the NVIDIA display driver service. NO joy.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how to fix this? Or has anyone seen this before?

Cheers

2. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Windows 7 is submissive. Certain applications can send 7 into a state of limbo. I've used 7 since its first beta (MCSA/MCTS/TechNet Sub), and of my experience, here are common apps that cause this behavior.

• Privoxy/Tor/Vidalia
    • Certain Antivirus apps, i.e. AVG
    • Windows Update (wuaclt in Task Manager)
    • SQL (installed with certain Microsoft Visual Basic applications)

If you have none of those it's probably a different rogue app. I would see what all is running in MSCONFIG and see if there's something non-Microsoft.

Another place to look is Performance Monitor, as it will also tell you any long shutdown issues. Event Viewer might also have some information about errors or something else.