Windows 8.1 Bootcamp questions.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Uplift, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Uplift macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've installed Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp onto my Mac Mini, there is a couple of things i'd like to sort to have it running perfect. Any suggestions on the below?

1. When the computer falls asleep it doesn't wake up when wiggling the mouse or pressing the keyboard (using Apples Wireless Keyboard, Magic Mouse and Magic Trackpad). I either need to press button on the mini or set it to not fall asleep at all.

2. Is there a way i can customise the keyboard layout so that it's exactly the same as it is on OSX which is what i'm used to? (the @ key is on the comma key and vice versa, the backslash key is on the key under escape, not sure what it's called)

3. I can't get the touch/scroll functionality working on the magic mouse, is it at all possible?

4. Trackpad support is sub-par, i'm using the trackpad control panel that allows natural scrolling, which doesn't work, trackpad also seems to 'cut out' where i'll need to wiggle my finger across it to make it work again

5. I can't seem to get any sound from the built in speakers or headphones.. according to device manager drivers are installed and when i play sound i can see it registering on the db meter in sound properties but nothing coming out at all. This is the deal breaker for me as i was to use this as my work machine and sound is needed for my work.

Thanks

2. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

Windows 8 seems to not work well on macs , in my experience Windows 7 runs much more stable in bootcamp . Have you tried using Windows 8 in a virtual machine program ?

3. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Did you install the most recent driver pkg for your mini see http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634

4. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

It would also be helpful if you could tell us what model Mac Mini you have .

5. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Windows 8 is not officially supported under BootCamp, so this is likely the source of your issues.

1. It is normal for Windows 8 to not be woken by moving the mouse or the keyboard. You need to press the power button. I believe this can be configured under the power settings.

2. Try looking at the keyboard mapping options in the control panel. It should be automatically configured; all my Apple Keyboards work perfectly and are mapped correctly when I connect them to my Windows 8 laptop. If it doesn't work, you may need to find drivers or wait for Windows 8 to be officially supported under BootCamp.

3-5. These issues are likely related to lack of support for Windows 8 under BootCamp. I'm sure there could be external device drivers for this hardware, so try and have a look on the net. What you describe for these issues seems to be driver related.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This is incorrect, W8 has been supported for many months now, and the newest boot camp drivers now support 8.1 as well.

7. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I didn't realize it was supported. I must've checked a poor source.

I just checked my source, and it turns out to be an article published a few months after the release of Windows 8. My mistake.

8. levilippincott macrumors newbie

Did you ever get this straightened out? I am also having this issue on my MacPro 2,1.

9. Uplift thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes i did, sorry for late reply thanks for the suggestions.

Basically installing the files above (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634) fixed everything, i now have sound, full keyboard support track pad magic mouse sd reader.