Windows 8.1 Bootcamp & VM?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tartin, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Tartin macrumors newbie

I'm currently running Windows 8.1 in bootcamp and it works really great on my new rMBP, but would it be possible to also run the same installation in a VM on OSX aswell?

I understand I gotta boot thrugh bootcamp when I'm gonna do some gaming cause performance will always be better running bootcamp, but for just getting access to my files and some lightweight apps in windows, is it possible or do I need to install and configure another Windows 8.1 for the VM or can I use the same installation?

And if it's possible, will there be conflicts with the drivers, like will the VM overwrite the nvidia graphic drivers with it's own? And will there be alot of "hussle" with settings everytime I change from running Windows in bootcamp to VM or the other way around?

2. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Yes it's possible.
    You will have to activate it at least twice (by phone iirc) and re-activate the Boot Camp one too. This proved a problem for me as MS refused to do so on the phone.
    Many others have done it successfully :)

3. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I was able to do this on the phone with MS without any issues.