Windows 8.1: Buy update or full install?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jeff Hall, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Jeff Hall macrumors regular

Jeff Hall

I am planning to buy a new iMac tonight. I'd like to install Windows 8.1 via BootCamp but don't know if it's possible to install a fresh copy using an Upgrade installation.

I own a full install version of Windows XP Professional.

And finally, what's the proper way these days to install a new copy of Windows using BootCamp. I have an external DVD drive available if that's required.

Apologize if this has been documented here already, but am at work and a bit pressed for time at the moment. References to published guides greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
    -Jeff

2. Thalin macrumors member

You can fresh install from a Windows 8 upgrade disk, it's what I did a couple of days ago. Lots of guides online. You just have to use a generic key to get through the installation, change an entry in regedit, and then enter your upgrade key.

I downloaded the Windows 8 ISO from a Microsoft Repository website. I hear you can fresh install from Windows 8.1 itself instead of installing Windows 8.0 and then upgrading to 8.1 (it's a free upgrade) but I was worried I might run into problems so I just used the first method.

3. terzinator, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

terzinator macrumors 6502

Just realized my question kinda hijacked, so I'm gonna start a new thread!