Windows 8.1 - Can't access share on Mac with valid credentials

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by SideStepSociety, Oct 22, 2014.

1. SideStepSociety macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

The title pretty well says it all.

I can see my Mac mini Server in Windows browser, ping my IP, etc, etc. I am also able to log in as Guest and get access to the Public folder.

However, I am unable to log in with any valid user accounts and credentials. Created a new, temporary test account and was also unable to access with that.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Gorazd, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

Gorazd macrumors newbie

Hi,

run regedit.exe as administrator on the Win 8.1 machine.

Delete this DWORD line in the Win 8.1 registry and you shall be fine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel

You do not need to restart the Win 8.1 system in order that you can now successfully connect
    for example to the: \\MACMINI\HARDDRIVESHARE from Win 8.1 machine.

You only need to fill the administrator name and password login for the Mac OSX computer
    and you shall now successfully map the Mac network drive on the Win 8.1 machine.

Best regards,

Gorazd.

3. SideStepSociety thread starter macrumors 6502

SideStepSociety

That did it! Thanks Gorazd.

Edit to add: Might be worth noting that the default value for this key is 3, and I got the same result by changing it to 3 from 2. Also, there's a small typo in your registry location. Should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel

4. Gorazd macrumors newbie

Hi,

Super!

I am glad that it works for you!

Best regards,

Gorazd.

5. cricrimi macrumors newbie

same with xp and yosemite

Hi all,

I have an imac hooked up on my network as well as an ultrasound machine (running xp in some form), both visible on the network.

Up until mavericks, I had a shared folder on my imac to which I could back up ultrasound picks directly from the ultrasound machine with user/pswd credentials. It worked through all my upgrades from Mountain lion through snow leopard and mavericks.

But not with Yosemite: The ultrasound machine only gets a login failed, unknown user name/bad password reply although nothing has changed.

I can only link the bug to yosemite but aside from making sure all the sharing options are correct, am stuck!

Really need this link for medical purposes

Thanks for any insight!!

Chris

6. chucktowndcroz macrumors newbie

OMG SO MUCH RESEARCH! THANK YOU SO MUCH. I made an account just to say thank you