Windows 8.1 on Retina iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ApplePoland, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ApplePoland macrumors newbie

Hello Retina iMac users. Currently i'm waiting for my machine and have a question regarding Windows 8.1 on Parallels. Do You have any problems with scaling and resolution? Everything looks and works OK? Let me know please.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I've scaling problems with VMware Fusion, but not via Boot Camp.

Haven't tried Parallels myself though.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

It appeared to be working find in Parallels at the local store. I played with it a little, able to make a sensible sized Windows window appear in a tiny box on the desktop. Scaling in 8.1 was working as expected.

I understand that the drivers don't yet understand 5k, so you're limited to about 4k in Bootcamp. No doubt that will be fixed imminently...

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It worked fine for me in Parallels, although to get it to work in full screen mode I had to bump up the VM's VRAM a bit from the default. Same as it would look on a rMBP, just bigger.

5. iczster macrumors member

How bad is it with Fusion? Is there a patch on the horizon?

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Nope. Let's face it, VMware's graphics drivers suck.

7. shokunin macrumors regular

I've had no issues with scaling on Fusion 6.0.5 and Yosemite. Running Win 7, windows server 2008r2 and Windows 10 technical preview. All seem to run fine, just as they do on my rMBP. You can select in the video settings to "use full resolution for retina display" if you want all the pixels. Otherwise leave it unchecked and it will run just like a retina display.

Haven't tried 8.1 lately.