Windows 8.1 on rMBP Early 2013

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by xWhiplash, Jul 21, 2014.

1. xWhiplash macrumors 65816

I have an early 2013 rMBP and installed Windows 7 on it. I decided to put Windows 8 on it a while ago. Ever since I installed it, I get a black flash when I log in. Sometimes the screen will go black for a few seconds while working and come back.

Is this normal? I did not notice any issues with Windows 7 when I had it installed.

I have constantly kept it up to date (drivers, Windows, ...) but I still get this. It happens on the laptop display, and external displays.

This does NOT occur in OS X.

2. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Anybody? Do I need to go back to Windows 7 to fix this after spending a couple hundred on Windows 8?

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It is not normal. I have 8.1 installed on my 2013 Retina MBP and I can play games for hours on end without any blank screens.

4. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, what do you think is the problem? Windows 7 does not do this, and OS X does not do it either. I have verified that all the drivers and all windows updates are installed. I even re-installed 8.1 and the issue remained.

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't know. I haven't seen that problem at all. It could be a drivers issue but it could be some sort of power setting.

I never installed Windows 7 on this because I've been using EFI to boot vs BIOS emulation.

6. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

I have verified that the drivers are up to date. I also checked the power options and nothing unusual there.

I have not had the chance to record the 10 second black screen flash while Windows is running since it is random. However, this is the flash that always happens when I log in.

http://phstudios.com/videos/Windows8Flicker.mov

7. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Well okay if anybody is interested I finally gave up on this. I formatted and installed Windows 8.1 3 more times and it still did it. I am just running it off a VM which is a shame.

8. xWhiplash thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay the VMWare update made the flicker come back. The previous version ran fine. Updated to version 7 and the flicker came back again.

Seriously, does anybody know what is going on here? OS X never flickers. Windows 7 does not flicker. Just 8.1. NOTHING in the event log, and sometimes I get 10 seconds of black screen while I am trying to work. I tried beta drivers, official drivers, numerous formats, various VM software....

I really do not want to go to Windows 7 and have to deal with hundreds of Windows Updates. Does anybody have any solution?

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

That flash during log in, I get it too. I find that to be normal. However, I don't have any flickering issues nor do I know anyone who does. Your case seems to be unique