Windows 8.1 pro student need iso

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by george019, Mar 20, 2014.

1. george019 macrumors newbie

Hello this is my first post on this site but owned macs for a long time!

Anyway I just downloaded a copy of windows 8.1 pro student for my late 2013 macbook pro 15" but it only came with a download version and no disc. When I downloaded all I got was a the windowssetupbox.exe which means that I can't download the iso needed for the boot camp installer. Said workarounds are to download with a windows pc but i don't own a windows pc anywhere in the vicinity so stuck as to what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You need a PC, no ways around it. When you buy the digital version of Windows, its comes through as a exe that you need to run, so you can hen download the ISO

3. george019 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, so does it matter which pc I use or can I just piggyback any pc to make the download? The windows store also has the option to buy a backup media disc of it, would that do the job?

4. Quackers macrumors 6502a

If you want a 64 bit iso you must run the setup.exe on a 64 bit Windows machine.

5. freeuser macrumors regular

I wouldn't trust that download

since there is no official Microsoft download yet!

If you purchase a DVD you will have the additional advantage of having install modes in Bios mode or EFI!

6. george019 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

how did you install it? i used it and required a key to install and then i needed my retail key to activate.

8. george019 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would logging in with the microsoft outlook account which contained my activation keys do it automatically?

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

10. george019 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the support, is there anything I should be doing to ensure that it is all running properly? I ran a full antivirus scan and tweaked a few settings so far.

11. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Couldn't now load the iso from this install, wipe the original install with a reinstall from the iso?