Windows 8.1 to employ native folder creation on home screen a la iOS

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Lloydbm41, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Finally!

Except from the verge:
    "A now removed support article over at Microsoft’s Windows Phone site has revealed the company is planning to natively support folders for apps on the Start Screen. The method will work similar to iOS, where you drag one Tile on top of another and it creates a folder that can then be renamed. Apps can then be accessed from within the folder."

2. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Excellent.

It's not like I use the Live Tiles on my RT anyway.

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

Getting better and better. Good job, Microsoft.

4. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

Just bought a Nokia Icon today! Installing the 8.1 Dev Preview. Will see if it works on that.....

5. yly3 macrumors 6502

I am sorry but wasn't this already do-able for quite a while with the Nokia Folder App ? Native is of course nice but I think I remember reading good reviews about it.

I'll check now on my 1520.
    Interesting enough, after 3 generations of iPhones, I never missed folders on WP :/ and I used them a lot on iOS.

6. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Yeah Nokia did this for their Lumias but this is built into WP itself.

I've never used folders on WP either. With the Metro interface I don't think they're needed personally. But I'm sure many others will be hailing this new addition.

7. Lloydbm41 thread starter macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

This feature isn't out yet. It is coming. The way you have to do it now with 'app folders' opening up and then adding apps is archaic and backwards.

8. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

The lack of this is exactly the reason most consumers were baffled by the start screen, I've been screaming for them to implement this from the first day Win 8 came out. With this we can truly let the start button/menu go.

edit: You guys are talking about windows phone I see, I hope they implement this into the desktop/tablet OS as well.