Windows 8.1 > Windows 10 via Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iKnowMr.Jobs, Jul 25, 2015.

1. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I currently have a copy of Windows 8.1 on my Mac via parallels. How can I go about updating it to Windows 10 when it starts being pushed out to everyone?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check to see if you can pre-reserve a copy, i.e., go to windows update on your computer and see if you're prompted. If not wait until the 29th and see it will download as an update for you.

I have it pre-reserved so I expect it to show up Tuesday at some point. Of course I'm running windows on a SP3, so being a MS product I expect to see it land fairly early.

3. iKnowMr.Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I don't have to do anything different for the installation because its a virtual machine than i do if I ran it natively?

4. MLVC macrumors 6502

I never got the option to reserve Windows 10 in Parallels. Whatever I tried, it just won't show up. I wonder if there's an issue with Parallels and Windows 10. Support from Parallels is rather useless as they just tell me it should work, which it doesn't. Guess I'll just stick to Windows 8.1... :(

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know how they determined those who were "blessed" to have the option to reserve it, but did you try going here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

6. MLVC macrumors 6502

I don't get that reserve option, it simply won't show up.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

but can you get the upgrade from the link I provided?

8. MLVC macrumors 6502

Just found this info on the Parallels forum:

I Updated my virtual Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 using the ISO link (https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10ISO) and it worked without any problems at all. Reinstalled Paralell tools swell without problem.
    I used the Parallels Desktop 10.2.2

9. MLVC macrumors 6502

No, nothing from there. I'm now trying the option I just posted. At least it downloaded Windows 10. It's now checking the download.

10. MLVC macrumors 6502

Cannot install Windows 10 on this PC, that's the message I get. When I click "more information", I'm forwarded to a page with system requirements for Windows 8.1. Sigh, I give up.

11. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

Part of the issue with not seeing the "reserve now" button is the following file. Delete it from the VM:

C:\Windows\AppCompat\Appraiser\Telemetry\Appriser.JSON

Using VirtualBox, once I delete that file, the reserve button appeared after restarting "Get Windows 10".

Installing W10 right now via the iso download. Not going to do tests, but, deleting the above file might help get past any pre-install checks.

12. MLVC macrumors 6502

Oh I got to the part of downloading it all (by using the info above from the Paralles forum), but I then got the message it couldn't be installed, with a link to information about system requirements for Windows 8.1.

13. mastercraft813 macrumors member

mastercraft813

14. MLVC macrumors 6502

I don't get why it has to be this hard. I just want to press an update button, and that's about it. I don't want to find loopholes to install something. I'll stick with 8.1 until Parallels has their act together, whenever that will be.

15. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Yeah not getting the reserve button either on Parallel windows 8.1. I also have one update about Windows Defender that constantly fails so not sure if that is related.

16. MLVC macrumors 6502

I can't get Parallels Tools installed either. Been on at for 2 days now with their customer support. Basically lost my temper earlier after they sent me yet another link to one of their support pages, telling me to do the same thing over and over. Now it's escalated in their support team, so let's see what that brings.

17. andeify macrumors 6502

andeify

I had a weird install loop of parallels tools, had to cancel the third time it tired to install. I let parallels think it was windows 8.1 while it installed the tools then between restarts changed it to windows 10. works fine for me now.

18. iKnowMr.Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I managed to get it working by downloading the ISO inside my 8.1 VM and running it from there. Installation didn't take long and everything works and runs fine...surprisingly fine.

Note: DO NOT download the ISO from any other source but Microsoft. Often on torrent sites, ISO files contain key loggers that antivirus software doesn't deem as malware. I provided the link on Microsoft's website for your reference.

19. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

20. KPOM macrumors G5

This is what I had to do, as well. Windows 10 actually works quite well on my 2015 rMB with Parallels 10. I'm not sure why Parallels is having so much difficulty resolving the error message on the upgrade app. Perhaps it's that they re focusing all their effort on getting Parallels 11 up and running so that they sell the upgrade to everyone running Parallels 9 who wants to update to El Capitan.

21. iKnowMr.Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I have Windows 10 running through Parallels 10 on the latest El Capitan Public Beta and everything works just fine. :)
    When I initially bough Parallels, I wasn't aware that they pushed out a new version every year (should've guessed given the fact that they're on version 10, 10 years after they started, duuuhhhh) which is pretty ridiculous, even Adobe never updated the creative suite every year. I did get Parallels on a Student Discount for $40-$50, so it wasn't as expensive but its still not worth it to upgrade if
    1.)It runs and works
    2.) I don't use it enough to warrant buying the new version every year.
    Also, I bought my legal copy of Windows 8.1 for $35...

22. KPOM macrumors G5

Generally they support a version for only 2 versions of OS X. So El Capitan will "break" Parallels 9. Even though Parallels 9 might seem to work OK on the El Capitan Beta, when it goes final, Parallels 9 will detect that it is running on El Capitan and refuse to open. So Parallels 10 will work on El Capitan, but not what comes next year.