Windows 8.1 won't install with Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dangerly, Dec 9, 2013.

1. dangerly macrumors regular

Good morning,
    have been trying to install Windows 8.1 on my late 2012 iMac with no success.
    This is how it went, three times:
    after Bootcamp has downlowded microsoft support files on a usb key and created windows partition, it reboots the iMac.
    At reboot i receive on screen the message: disk inserted is not bootable (note that i have an original Windows 8.1, paid 129.99 €).
    At this point i restart pressing the option (alt) key and choose EFI boot to start windows installation which begins and continues to the point where i have to choose the partition for the installation.
    I choose the partition created by bootcamp but receive the message that "windows cannot install in that partition".
    That's it, no way to install windows 8.1.
    Any advice?

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Did you have OS X create the USB Windows Installer?

You should see your USB drive labeled WININSTALL and when you reboot there should be an option for "Windows" in addition to the EFI Boot. The EFI Boot option is the wrong one - you should select "Windows."

3. dangerly thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, i will try.

4. dangerly thread starter macrumors regular

Hello,
    i did as you indicated, but Windows 8.1 will not install. I receive the message that no bootable media is found.
    What should i do?

5. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Did you follow the instructions from the Boot Camp Assistant? It should provide specific instructions for your model of iMac.

There is a FAQ for installing Windows 8 here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5628

Do you have another computer where you can test the USB flash drive?

A workaround may be to download VMware Fusion and run it in the 30-day evaluation mode to test your ISO to make sure it is valid and not corrupt. You could then use the Microsoft tool to make a bootable USB drive (http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe) and try that to install Windows 8.1.

6. dangerly thread starter macrumors regular

Yes i followed all the instructons from bootcamp assistant.

In one of the articles from support.apple is stated that bootcamp 5 does not support windows 8.1. Can this be the problem?

I tested the usb flash drive and works fine, i also tested the windows 8.1 dvd, which is an original copy of window 8.1, and works fine on a pc.

If you have any other suggestions feel free to give.
    Thank you

7. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Do you have an external USB DVD drive that you can connect to the iMac to see if you can boot from the physical media? I don't think any of the installations that I have done have been with 8.1 - only 8.0. I do not have an iMac to test on, but I can test with a MacBook Pro with Retina display.

The drivers may not be 100% compatible with Windows 8.1, but I would think it would at least get past the setup portion of the installation without any problems.

8. dangerly thread starter macrumors regular

Will try to boot from my external dvd drive with the original windows 8.1 dvd and will let you know.
    Thank you