Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I have them installed on two separate hard drives (Windows 8 on my 256GB SSD and Ubuntu on a second traditional 250GB SATA HDD.)

The base install takes around 5.9GB from what I remember so depending on your usage, anything above that should do. :D

Cheers. I'll give Ubuntu 40gb on one of the internal SATA HDD's. Just to be safe and give a little room for apps. Thanks for the info. :D

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I noticed that the start button is just a button to enter metro mode. It seems unproductive still for me but that's just me.

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
So far only two machines accepted the download. 1 cannot even see the download and the other gives 'cannot write in partition' errors :rolleyes:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
For those who have more than 1 PC to upgrade, especially on my awful speed, downloading the 8.1 upgrade for each PC is frustrating. Luckily, somebody has found a way to trick the Microsoft website into letting you download an ISO, providing you have a valid Windows 8 key.

- Go here Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help scroll down and click on both 'Install Windows 8' and 'Install Windows 8.1'
- Run the Windows 8 setup and enter your retail Windows 8 key, click next and when i begins downloading, STOP it! Exit setup.
- Now run the the Windows 8.1 setup. It will produce and error. Exit and then run Windows 8.1 setup again.
- It should now be downloading the Windows 8.1 ISO. Afterwards you can save it as an ISO or create the USB media immediately.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/33164-how-download-windows-8-1-iso.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.