Windows 8 and Bootcamp - Privilege Error

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mds1256, Jun 27, 2012.

1. mds1256 macrumors regular

Got new 2012 macbook air i5 13 and went to install Windows 8 as a bit of a test and I know bootcamp is not officially supported yet but...

Boot camp fully installs but when you try to open the control panel for boot camp e.g. to change the trackpad options etc it comes up with an error saying I dont have the privilege to change the startup disk and then closes bootcamp down so I cannot change any settings.

I have managed to enable right click by messing with the registry and changing it to 0x6e and that works fine but has anyone got latest version of boot camp working on windows 8 with no errors?

2. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

Hi, where is the registry hack you're using documented? Would like to use it - thanks!

3. 31rhcp, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012

31rhcp macrumors member

Sorry for not contributing anything, but I'm having a similar problem. Just put W8 on my 2012 MBA and I can't open the Boot Camp Control panel. Anyone have a fix for this?

4. 31rhcp macrumors member

That's not ideal though, at least it isn't in my case. I want access to the Boot Camp control panel, specifically so I can:

1. Configure the FN keys to not be what is illustrated on them (brightness, volume, etc.)
    2. Be able to restart in OS X from the toolbar by clicking on the Boot Camp diamond.

5. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

I suggest you complain to Apple and get them to fix their janky software :)

6. 31rhcp macrumors member

Not likely to be taken seriously until W8 is "supported" by Boot Camp unfortunately....

7. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

I'm curious as I haven't tried... but on these newish machines where Apple themselves has automatically enabled AHCI (thus causing the control panel to break) - does this happen on Windows 7 as well as Windows 8? I have only tried the latter, but assuming the hardware is seen the same way under Win7 it would happen there as well, which *is* already officially supported by Apple, leaving users in the lurch (not that this would be surprising).