Windows 8 and Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fivetoadsloth, Jun 21, 2013.

1. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Hi all,

I just got a windows 8 laptop that I'm trying to install Ubuntu on. It's shockingly frustrating, and I'd really appreciate some help.

I've created both a boot DVD and boot USB key. I can boot from either one of them, and get to the screen where I have the option to Try Ubuntu, Install Ubuntu, etc. However, whatever I seem to select, the system just hangs there.

I saw this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

However, in the BIOS I can only find FastStartup (which is disabled).

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

Dude, this is what happens when Microsoft bullies PC manufacturers into doing dumb things just to shake things up a bit. UEFI is a new "standard" that I believe will offer faster boot up and wake up times on "lablets". IMHO these devices are a complete freak show but I digress. Unfortunately I don't see the Linux kernel ever moving in this direction as I think the community sees this as a complete Dodo.

If you really want Ubuntu, I would look into System76 which would be my recommendation. There are other PC manufacturers that offer "Linux Certification" which is guaranteed to work on Ubuntu. This way you never have to worry about this stupid nonsense ever again. Or run Ubuntu on a VM.

I know, probably not what you want to hear but Windows 8 is arrogantly divisive. Steve Ballmer really stuck his head in the sand on this one.

3. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

This has nothing to do with UEFI, the Linux kernel has full support for not only UEFI but secure boot and has done for a while now.

OP, you're probably better off making a thread about this in Ubuntu's support forums.

4. beautifulcoder macrumors regular

My bad. I think you are right.