Windows 8: Apple opportunity to seize pro market.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lbhskier37, Feb 6, 2013.

1. lbhskier37 macrumors member

As a workstation user who has tried Windows 8, I think Apple needs to take this as an opportunity to take the professional market from MS. I primarily use Creo Parametric 2.0, and wish PTC would make a Mac version. I can see the value of Metro on a tablet or possibly laptop, but for professional engineering work it is garbage. There is no way I am going to spend all day killing my arms with a touchscreen to do real work. Does anyone think there is a chance Apple may try to take some of this market? It is traditionally a very high margin low volume market which fits into Apples wheelhouse. Maybe I am just being hopeful, but it sure would be nice to replace my current Dell workstation with a future generation Mac Pro.

2. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I love my Mac, but if I can't have a Mac I'd prefer Windows 8

As somebody who does system administration, I installed Windows 8 on my desktop PC at work. I have throughly enjoyed using it, and honestly I think it is the best version of Windows yet. To me it seems that if you are a professional engineering you wouldn't want to be using a touchscreen, so that negates your main sticking point about your negative opinion of Windows 8. For me, Windows 8 was faster that Windows 7, looked much nicer, it was more customizable, and the metro start screen offered up a great deal of information that was quickly accessible but non-intrusive. To me if people could wrap their minds around the fact that the start menu has now been transformed to a prettier, more functional metro screen (than also has the ability to run apps) people might see what I see from Windows 8. Frankly if I can't have a Mac, I want a workstation that runs Windows 8, as I think it is the next best thing.

Now to your second point, I hope that the new Mac Pro is a very nice workstation class machine. I am really excited to see what they have in store for us later this year with the rumored refresh. The professional workstation class was Apple's bread and butter for a long time before the iPhone and iPad came out, and hopefully Apple doesn't completely leave this segment of the market high and dry.

Could it be possible that your yearning for a Apple Workstation is drastically changing you opinion of Windows 8?