Windows 8 audio issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by 0dev, May 11, 2012.

1. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I have the 32 bit Windows 8 Consumer Preview installed in Boot Camp with the Boot Camp drivers generally working fine, but there's an audio issue. If I run iTunes and play music in the background, after 5-10 minutes I get interference, it sounds like the digital audio isn't working and iTunes freezes up. It's certainly not a hardware issue - everything works fine in OS X with the same MacBook and headphones.

Anyway to sort this? Or is it just a bug in the Windows 8 beta I have to wait to be fixed? I couldn't find other people having the same issue when I googled.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I have the problem that if I play audio on my MacBook Pro running Windows 8, there is a high possibility that the entire machine will lock up and I have to power it off at the switch.

Have you tried running the chkdsk command in the Command-Prompt terminal? A long time ago, when I played music on my computer I kept on getting interference like noise coming through the speakers whenever I was playing music. I found that the cause was that there was corruption on the file system. Ran chkdsk on the file system and it was fine. However, that was on a FAT32 partition at the time.

3. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Ran chkdsk, it said everything was fine.

Just this morning I spent some time watching YouTube videos in Chrome and audio worked perfectly through both the speakers and my headphones. Perhaps my issue is iTunes specific, I'll try reinstalling it I think.

4. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Reinstalling iTunes does nothing to help and the issue now exists during YouTube videos too. I'm thinking there's driver problems.

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I'll be interested to know if you still suffer from the same problem when the Windows 8 Release Preview is out.

6. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

Hopefully the new Windows 8 Preview comes out sometime in June like Microsoft is Planning on.

Btw My audio works fine with my but I already removed it.

7. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

From the Microsoft news that I've read on the web, Microsoft is on schedule to launch the Windows 8 Release Preview in the first week of June.

8. 0dev thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Yeah we'll see what happens with the first RC. TBH I have I feeling I may have to wait until Boot Camp's drivers officially support Windows 8.