Windows 8 Boot Camp OS X 10.8.3

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alexcanton, Mar 14, 2013.

1. alexcanton, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013

alexcanton macrumors member

alexcanton

Now that Windows 8 is officially supported for Bootcamp, should I reinstall it on OS X 10.8.3?

2. wmy5 macrumors regular

No. Since you've already installed Windows 8, the only thing you need to do is install the latest Boot Camp drivers, 5.0, in Windows.

3. jlpek17, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

jlpek17 macrumors regular

I would like to get the "bootcamp windows support files" for Windows 8. Unfortunately the new bootcamp manager under OSX say that my iMac is only compatible with Windows 7. Is there a way to bypass this and download the windows 8 files ?

Does someone could uploaded the Windows 8 files ?

Thanks.

4. alexcanton thread starter macrumors member

alexcanton

Oh, so I just update through the Boot Camp control panel on Windows?

5. wmy5 macrumors regular

You will have to download Boot Camp 5 here, http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1638, if your machine is compatible with the latest version.

6. alexcanton thread starter macrumors member

alexcanton

Thanks downloading now ;) will let you know how I go.

7. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

I have a 21.5" iMac Mid-2010 (apparently the 27" version is) which for some reason is not compatible with the Boot Camp 5 -drivers. I've run Windows 8 64-bit from my iMac since it was released and was pleasantly surprised when I noticed today that the 10.8.3 is available and contains Win8-support. I updated and tried to download the new Boot Camp -files via Boot Camp assistant. However, it said that my iMac only supports Win7.

I then downloaded the Boot Camp 5 -drivers from Apple anyway (direct link), copied the two folders to a USB stick and booted to Win8. When I click the setup-file per instructions, I received a notification that my iMac is not supported.

So I can definitely tell you that if you have a non-supported Mac (it's amazes me that a Mid-2010 iMac with Ati graphics can be outdated for Win8-support), you cannot install Boot Camp 5 -drivers. Obviously I'm hoping that there is or will be some sort of workaround.

8. sozercan macrumors newbie

I was able to install BC5 drivers in a mid-2009 MBP (not officially supported by Apple). I added an how to here: http://sertacozercan.com/2013/03/how-to-install-os-x-10-8-3-windows-8-drivers-on-older-macs/
    Hope it helps. I wrote it from memory, but it should be straightforward. Let me know if it seems confusing.

9. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

Thank you for giving us hope.

However, I did not succeed. I downloaded the Boot Camp 5 -driver zip file (in Windows 8) and unzipped it to a folder in Program Files (C:). I then opened Command Prompt and went to BootCamp->Drivers->Apple and entered "msiexec a/ BootCamp.msi". I then got an error window (code 2203) saying something about an unexpected error in the installer and that the package could be faulty. I tried this several times and download the drivers twice.

I also tried the alternative but could not figure out from your post where should I place the .reg file and what to do with it. I tried adding it to the Apple-folder where the BootCamp.msi is and then clicking Merge, but yet again the Boot Camp setup told me my iMac is incompatible.

10. sozercan macrumors newbie

You can just copy paste into a file in the desktop, and run it from there, after that you can just delete the .reg file. I made it available here if you want to just download it. This is actually the method I used. Hope it works for you.

11. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

Unfortunately it did not. Thank you anyway! :)

I must admit I'm not a power Windows -user (never have been and the last time I used Command Prompt may have been in the days of DOS) but I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I guess this workaround doesn't work on all Macs.

12. Ritmo macrumors member

Ritmo

There is a typo in your .reg-file

13. jlpek17, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

jlpek17 macrumors regular

It works well with my iMac Late 2009 (ATI 4850).

---
    In the explorer copy "bootcamp.msi" at C:\
    In the explorer search for "cmd" and just select it
    Search in the upper menu "launch as administrator" in order to launch the Windows Command Line
    Type "c:" and "cd\" in order to go to the root directory of C:\
    Just type "bootcamp.msi"

--- it works for me to install the Bootcamp Panel ---

But now you have to install manually each driver you find in the "Drivers" folder of the BootCamp5 support files. For the apple drivers it is simple as place in the directory and launch the "dpinst" files of the drivers you need (some are useless for your system)

14. Chrysaor, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

Chrysaor macrumors 6502

15. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

Thanks so much. This did the trick for me. I have now installed the Boot Camp Panel and was able to just click and run the ATI sound and video drivers. However, what does it mean in practice when you say "place in the directory and lacuh the "dpinst" files". I do not understand this.

In the drivers folder, there are drivers for Apple, Asix, Atheros, ATI, Broadcom, Cirrus, Intel, Marvell, NVidia, RealTek, VCRedist and MotorolaSetup. I've already installed the ATI drivers and obviously I do not need NVidia drivers. But how do I know what else I'm supposed to install?

16. ErikvanD macrumors newbie

ErikvanD

17. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

Well this was easy and it worked perfectly! I wish someone had posted this earlier. As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't get sozercan's solutions to work and while jlpek17's solution kinda worked, I was left having to install all the drivers separately (it didn't seem to be just a 'double-click' every driver kinda job). Then I tried this ErikvanD-method and it worked perfectly. As I had already installed the BootCamp panel and some of the drivers, I was able to install the rest of the files by hitting "Fix" after running BootCamp.msi as admistrator (again, I wish I had known there is no need to mess with CMD or .reg files or anything like that). Everything seems to be working great although I guess this was not a "clean" install of the Boot Camp drivers.

18. jcvlds macrumors newbie

Hey Tigerman, how did you install Windows 8 in the first place? I have a MBP mid-2009 and if I try to clean install Windows 8 through Bootcamp it says it is not supported -.-

19. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

There are several guides in the Internet if you just google it up. At the time I had Windows 8 Release Preview (I upgraded it to Win8 Pro only afterwards) I wanted to install. Basically you have to install it as "Windows 7" in Boot Camp assistant and without the Boot Camp drivers. There is nothing tricky about this procedure really.

Bare in mind though that I didn't have 10.8.3 when I used this procedure so I'm not sure what alternatives will Boot Camp 10.8.3 be giving regarding installation.

EDIT: I would like to mention that one great thing about installing the Boot Camp 5 -drivers was that the Windows clock started working. Previously everytime I booted to Windows, the clock was about two hours slow. I always had to "update the time" via the settings. After I installed the Boot Camp 5 -drivers, the clocks is on time. I can also confirm that Bluetooth and iSight are working perfectly.

20. fel0nious macrumors newbie

Funny, it's the complete opposite for me. My clock is now persistently resetting itself to +4hr from my current time. My Timezone is set correctly, and internet update is configured properly, and the UTCISREALTIME or whatever registry setting is set as every google search seems to indicate. It's BEYOND maddening.

I honestly am not sure why I updated to BC5. I had no issues with anything other than Lightning Bolt devices not being hot-swappable (ahem, gigabit ethernet), and that is STILL not fixed. OK, so I had to open the BC control panel while my account was NOT an administrator.. That's fine, because there isn't any need to fuddle with those settings one they are set anyway.

So, the main thing I was hoping would get fixed (hot-swappable lightning devices) wasn't fixed, and now my clock is always 4 hours behind. GFG. What a joke..