Windows 8 Bootcamp on rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snapdragonx, Oct 31, 2012.

1. snapdragonx
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Does anyone with an rMPB use Windows 8 in boot camp yet?

I'm wondering if it works.. how well it works.. etc.

Any comments appreciated :D

2. children
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

it works very well, but the mouse gestures don't work (except the 2 finger scroll), also some programs have trouble with native res, so I use 1920x1200

once bootcamp drivers are updated for win8, these niggles wil probably be fixed

3. snapdragonx
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome :D

So lowering the res doesn't make anything fuzzy? Or does Windows 8 scale properly like OS X does?

4. children
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

not that i can notice

5. DTKblaster
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

You can get the gestures to work by using the trackpad++ software:

http://trackpad.powerplan7.com

I've set the res to max, and then changed the scaling to 199% as 200% produces a nasty pixelated mouse cursor.

The difference between how scaling is handled in windows 8 and 7 is that anything which doesn't have a high dpi mode simply gets blown up and softened, but this can be disabled on a per application basis in the compatibility options list (but then they're tiny, like how it would look on win7). OSX does't soften after scaling, but both look pretty bad.

I recommend turning on GPU rendering and smooth scrolling for internet explorer. I haven't tried chrome, but firefox doesn't scale the pages and makes everything tiny.

And also the bootcamp control software doesn't work at all, it will crash talking about not having permission to change boot settings. The rest of the drivers seem to work fine, although initially I couldn't manually control the brightness (it seems to max out really low), but then I turned off the light sensor settings in the power options and I could use the full range again.

6. mac1984user
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

After upgrading my Win7 install to Win8, my trackpad didn't work. I had to uninstall the Bootcamp drivers and then reinstall them. That solved my problems. Everything works swimmingly. =)