Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by marcusj0015, Feb 29, 2012.

1. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

This replace the Start Menu with a Metro UI Popup ******** is killing this OS, I like the changes they've made to the rest of the OS, but if I can't get the Start Menu, I won't be using it, Too bad I won't have the money for a Mac for some months.

2. jackrv macrumors 6502

I've used the developer preview , currently downloading the consumer preview. For mouse controlled computers, I think the new MetroUI is horrible. For touch, I actually like it.

3. techguy20 macrumors 6502

So basically both Windows OS and OS X are turning in mobile/tablet based operating systems, constantly being simplified in terms of UI. :D

4. Yamcha macrumors 68000

I downloaded the Consumer Preview this morning and I really like the Metro user interface.. I think It's going to be a compelling experience on tablets..

For desktops I wouldn't say that it's completely unusable, most of what you need to do can be done from the start screen.. BUT getting access to things like control panel has become more difficult, you literally have to open Explorer >> Computers >> Control Panel..

And of course with the start menu gone, it does mean having to switch back and forth between the metro experience and the original desktop..

5. marcusj0015 thread starter macrumors 65816

I like the Metroification of Aero, but the Start Screen is incredibly unintuitive.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Microsoft's made no bones about the fact they believe the next user interface is touch. The ZuneHD, while poorly marketed by MS has always been heralded as one of the best UI's on one of the best pieces of hardware MS ever made.

Metro is a step toward the "Minority Report" interface. There will always be haters to new ideas.

7. marcusj0015 thread starter macrumors 65816

LOL @Haters, dude, it's simply horrible for the desktop, and heres a little secret, I HAD a Zune 120GB, then I had to decide between iPod Touch and Zune HD. So stop assuming ****.

8. adambadamh macrumors member

Has MS built in any gesture that an Apple track pad picks up in Win8, especially in the Metro screens?

9. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

For a long time, I thought Android is iOS competitor. However, after seeing Windows 8 preview, it's pretty clear that Windows 8 is Android's main competitor running on the same budget hardware in million different configurations. Actually between Android and Windows 8, I'll pick Windows 8 despite of its very functional yet boring looking Metro UI, a stereotypical MS.

10. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Anyone know if a "custom" install disk has to be made for Win 8 x64 to run on Mac Pro 1,1? :confused: I followed some guide a while back to make an ISO to get Win7 running on my Mac Pro. It had something to do with EFI

11. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I don't believe Microsoft has access to the trackpad drivers since it's a specific Apple-licensed pad, but I do know that the Microsoft Touch Mouse works (and IT IS AMAZING TO USE ON WINDOWS 8!), and Apple will probably create an update to Boot Camp and the Boot Camp drivers to support Windows 8 entirely.

Android in itself is a competitor against everything. It's Linux-based, so you can build Android for almost anything that has a CPU and Memory. You could put Android on your TV, if the processor was configurable and you had the memory. I don't view Android as a productive tablet OS, though. 3.0 boosted the tablet use, and 4.0 unifies the tablet experience some more, but it just doesn't work out well. Android should stay on phones and media players.

Windows 8 for ARM is the iOS competitor, whereas Windows 8 is the Mountain Lion competitor. The one thing Windows 8 has a giant step over Mountain Lion is that Windows 8 still supports software from as far back as Windows 95 (98?).
    Windows 8 is the full desktop OS. If you're using just straight up a mouse and keyboard then it's not practical, but doing something as simple as introducing the Microsoft Touch Mouse makes the interaction 10000x better than you would think. It's Windows 8 ARM edition that's the iOS competitor.

But the future of computing is multitouch. Apple has started it, and more computers are starting to get multitouch trackpads just like Apple. Hell, Synaptics has a 10-point multitouch trackpad designed for Windows 8 that they plan to get instated into laptops and sell as an accessory.

------------
    In case anyone hasn't noticed, this is the first Windows release since Windows 98 that's not several versions. Their's only 2 versions: Windows 8, and Windows 8 for ARM.

12. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Agreed. Apple clearly wants to move to multi touch computers, gradually.

MS is probably anticipating the future of desktop OS's. The Metro UI is clean and very usable, studied for multi touch devices but I don't find it horrible with a mouse either.

13. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I like the Windows 8 interface, but I have to agree with other people on this: The Metro interface is truly almost useless for non-touch interfaces. I think MS will add the Start Menu back, theres a lot of complaining about it on the Microsoft forums.

14. Ludiculous macrumors newbie

Problem with Installation

Hi guys, I have few questions regarding Windows 8 installation. I followed everything online regarding installation, I partitioned my harddrive with 85GB, I started the installation, I entered the product key, I then clicked on my 85GB partition harddrive and formated it. However, it still wont let me install Windows 8 on it. Instead, it says: "Disk has MBR partition table. Windows can only be installed on GPT disks."

Does anyone know what to do at this point? I cant seem to get this resolved. I tried deleting the partitioned drive and choose "new" but nothing seems to work. I can't find anything online regarding this issue as well.

Thanks in advance for helping!

15. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

What I meant is not the developers intended market, but which customers they ended up attracting. Win8 for ARM vs Android is going to be interesting in that regard.

16. DingleButt macrumors regular

Pro-tip. Right click in the bottom left corner ;)

17. marcusj0015 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats inaccurate, Windows 8 still supports MBR and BIOS.

18. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

I agree that metro with mice and keyboards is not perfect.

However, the start meny lacking complaining i dont see. Ive been pressing the windows key + name of app for years. That and windows key + r to run specific apps. So for ME the metro start menu works just the way as win7 start menu.. For the average consumer on the other hand, i dont know.

19. FluffyPop macrumors member

I don't really care much about Windows but I find it interesting that even among Windows users the majority seems to dislike the new UI. It looks like an intriguing experiment, but I don't think I would personally use it.

20. marcusj0015 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how many move to Mac, they thought Vista was bad? I can't wait to see how windows 8 plays out.

21. Ludiculous macrumors newbie

but that's what it says, it wont let me install

22. irnchriz, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I have to agree with other posters here and on the Microsoft forums. The Metro front end is dire for keyboard and mouse users.

I'm going to spend some time with it at the weekend to see how easy it will be to disable metro and lock it down to the desktop for business users.

I'm not too worried to be honest as Windows 7 will be around for a while and the uptake of Windows 8 on business desktops will be slow (we will certainly not be advising any customers to use it on the desktop). Other than that it's looking like we shall make a lot of money supporting or downgrading others who buy windows 8 desktops.

23. marcusj0015 thread starter macrumors 65816

Have you tried deleting your Win 8 partition, repairing permissions with disk utility, then recreating the Win 8 partition? Rebooting after each step, just to be sure?

----------

@Imchris.

if you find a way to disable the start screen, will you post it here?