Windows 8 Dev. Preview Hands on & Compatibility

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sgtakase, Sep 14, 2011.

1. sgtakase, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

sgtakase macrumors newbie

I have spent hours searching on threads but somehow I see nothing about people using the new Windows 8 build on their mac so I decided to post my thoughts and problems on it. If you have any answers to my questions, or have questions I might be able to answer, please ask!

First of all I'd like to say i am on a 2011 MBA Ultimate

Now first off installing, I did the normal way to install windows 7 with boot camp, simply using the new iso in its place. ran fine took maybe 20 minutes to make my drive. Installing it was RIDICULOUS FAST. it literally took me under 5 minutes for it to install on my mac. (2 of them were for some reason spent having to reformat the partition)

Turning it on for the first time it was as fast as my mac partition to get to a working login screen. The OS is smooth, quick, and responsive. I absolutely love the tweetorama and social apps that are included. the system is pre-beta but it already feels surprisingly close to rc status in my opinion. It took a bit to get used to all of the gestures that were clearly designed with tablets in mind but it became easier to navigate as I tried.

Then came the problems. I cannot figure out why most of the drivers do not work. No right clicking or scrolling on my trackpad, no audio, no backlight keyboard. Most of the other things worked such as wifi. I tried to reinstall the latest version of boot camp on windows but it says I already have it installed when I do not. I tried installing macdrive 8 and 9 but it says it is only compatible with windows 7 and lower. (Win8 is supposed to run ALL Win7 just fine)

Tips:
    - Command is windows key as usual BUT the windows key is the equivalent of a home key. Press it and you'll be whisked away to the start screen.

- Been trying to change that green background color, have had no success figuring it out.

- Side by side apps = Along with windows snap one of the reasons windows keeps pulling me back with my mac playing middleman

I will be doing much more exploring and in depth looks but I'd love to hear from anyone else who has tried it. How has it been working for you? Have you fixed any of the things I couldn't? I understand that it is a developer preview but I feel some/most of these problems aren't directly due to the OS so much as compatibility or something

EDIT: I neglected to mention I was running the 32Bit Verison

2. LeakedDave macrumors regular

I'm workin on it ;) Almost done hacking the BootCamp64.MSI file to allow it to install on Windows 8.

3. sgtakase thread starter macrumors newbie

will that work for the 32 bit version as well? if not then I can always just grab the 64 version. either way if you can get it to work you are a godsend :)

4. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

does anyone know which is more reliable at the moment for running windows 8 - boot camp or parallels?

5. sgtakase thread starter macrumors newbie

From what I've heard Parallels hasn't been working very well. I've been running it in Boot Camp and it is ridiculous how it keeps pace

6. mark1234 macrumors member

I have heard that Windows 8 now for the first time supports EFI completely. This means that you can boot from the Windows 8 DVD and install it directly using EFI. Hereafter, you have to manually install all the Apple specific drivers. Gone is the simulated BIOS!!

7. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

to install on boot camp did you need the anything from the mac os x usb thumb drive or dvd? also did you need to connect to the internet?

8. MRU, Sep 14, 2011

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

9. Hypex macrumors newbie

Cheers! Be sure to post it here when it's done! :)

10. bobnugget macrumors regular

The x64 version works nicely on VMWare Fusion 4 - not sure it will work with Fusion 3 though, as I think that uses the same virtualisation core as VMWare Player 3, and it does not work in Player 3.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I loaded the 32bit version on fusion 4, since I limit the ram to under 4 gig anyways. I was pleasantly surprised to see I could load the client tools. Definitely a happy camper at this point :D

12. bll00 macrumors newbie

anyone here have a way to install Windows 8 on their MBA using a usb drive ??? reFIT doesn't seem to work with OSX Lion...

13. Richard70 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    Is it possible to just upgrade my bootcamp partition from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on MBA?

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm wondering the same, but dare not destroy my bootcamp drive trying it at the moment. Too many games downloaded from STEAM to go to the trouble of re-installing.

15. jeznav, Sep 14, 2011

jeznav macrumors 6502

Just installed it in my MBA: http://t.co/C6KkVBl

Yeah, its possible. Just mount the iso and run setup.exe to start the installer within windows.

This is the method I used to install all drivers with no hiccups. Also, to enable right-click, go to Bootcamp control panel>Trackpad and enable secondary clicking.

Currently Windows 8 doesn't recognize Apple's multitouch trackpad so you can't swipe to scroll. This is a driver issue.

16. Hypex macrumors newbie

2-finger scroll works on my Macbook Pro 2011 after installing bootcamp-assistant in compability-mode. Everything seems to work as it should :)

17. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Parallels 7.0 is working fine for me. Looking very cool at this point :)

19. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i take you aren't using the parallel tools right?

20. KPOM macrumors G5

I was about to ask that. I attempted to install Parallels Tools yesterday and it seems to have affected my installation, causing Windows 8 to freeze when shutting down. I'll just delete it and try again tonight.

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I guess I'm not. I just installed W8 regularly and didn't bump into any issues. I didn't install any extra stuff. Now I just need 8GB of RAM.

22. maflynn, Sep 14, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not liking the metro UI at the moment. Depending on what you're doing it swaps over to the metro screen and then back to the desktop. I know there's a bit of learning curve but my initial feelings are that is more disruptive then enhancing.

Edit:
    if you feel so moved you can disable Metro by renaming c:\Windows\System32\shsxs.dll

23. PhoneI macrumors 65816

So I played around with Windows 8 for a few hours today, and I have to say.....I am really not that impressed. I actually think its a confusing mess. You see, all the screenshots you been seeing of the fancy new UI is basically a replacement of the Windows 7 start menu. Its kind of like an overlay that hides the old windows UI. The problem is, you still find yourself needing to go to the desktop (with the old UI) often. The switch between the new and old UI's is striking and really ruins the experience. I am left with a complete feeling of being underwhelmed and the belief that most people will be more confused than interested.

24. Richard70 macrumors newbie

25. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

so just to be clear, windows 8 is like windows vista in a sense.. like windows 9 will be what windows 8 should've been or something like that/