Windows 8 downclocks CPU in games

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OUTofPRINT, Jul 20, 2013.

1. OUTofPRINT macrumors newbie

It's a 15" rMBP with a 2.3 GHz i7 and a GT 650m.

I was looking at the task manager while playing games, and it appears that the CPU is getting downclocked significantly. This has a large effect on the performance of the games, and I don't know how to fix it. I originally noticed it in Black Mesa, but I just saw it in Skyrim too. It makes the framerate drop a lot and makes it really stuttery/choppy. it usually drops down to around 1.2 GHz, but I saw it go down to about 0.7 GHz in Skyrim. Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

I already tried changing the processor power management settings.
    I'm using Lubbo's Fan Control to keep the fans on 100%
    I'm running it off a Thunderbolt external hard drive, if that matters.

Any suggestions?

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Intel Turbo Boost reduces the CPU-core clock rate, if a CPU-core reaches a certain temperature. The solution is a) better cooling or b) use a real game machine, not a weak rMBP.

3. yfnew macrumors newbie

For me, I can use ThrottleStop to stop the CPU downclocking in bootcamp. However, after I stopped the CPU throttling, I found that my GPU started downclocking and throttling (from 900MHz to 240MHz)... Tried the Nvidia Inspector but it didn't help at all:( The next thing I'll do is probably to install Windows 8 in EFI mode and see if it helps. If not, I'll just simply go to the Apple Store and have a logic board replacement:( (you know what, this is already the second mac I have that has GPU issue. My MBP 2010 had blackscreen issue in bootcamp and sometimes in Mac OS X)

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Weak? Hardly.

Sure its not the ideal gaming device but its an incredibly fast machine. I use a few of them as Realflow Render nodes at work.