Windows 8 DP taking up WAY too much space on rMBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Callumbear845, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Callumbear845 macrumors member

I recently installed the developer preview of windows 8 on my Retina MacBook Pro so I could play Battlefield 3. I saw that Windows 8 should take up less than 20GB of space, so therefore I created a 50GB partition size for the install via bootcamp. Once I finished the install, (I burned the image to a DVD and used an external drive) I was only left with 12GB of space left, only just enough for me to install Battlefield 3 from DVD, and not enough left (1.1GB) to get the updates for the game. I was also planning on installing SolidWorks on this partition. Has anyone else had an install of Windows 8 that took up 38GB??? I really need a functional use of windows but do not want to have to give up much of my limited space. Any ideas?

2. DrFate09 macrumors newbie

Disable Hibernation, you should gain many GBs back.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It's due to the amount of RAM you have. The default pagefile and hibernation files are the same size as the amount of RAM, so that's 16GB for each.

It much less of a problem on a typical PC with 4GB.

4. Callumbear845 thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way to disable this and regain the space?

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Windows Developer preview was more like an Alpha of Windows 8, it was meant solely for devs to test apps on, there have since been 2 more previews, Consumer and Release. These are much more stable and far less likely to give you issues, I don't even understand why you'd opt for the Dev Preview. Try the Release preview and see if this solves anything.