Windows 8 editions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jent, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

Forgive the Windows question on an Apple forum, but I find my fellow Mac users here very knowledgable and helpful.

My workplace runs Windows and I was asked to recommend some PCs for purchase. They were bought with the standard edition of Windows 8 but I know we will need to access shared network drives, which we use to shared documents between our three current computers.

Looking at a comparison of the Windows 8 editions, I'm wondering if shared network drive access is what is referred to as "Services for Network File System," which would mean I need Windows 8 Enterprise edition.

Thanks for any help!

2. Phayz macrumors member

Hi,

I'm on Win 8 Pro on my work account, and have it set up to access my domain user account. I also can access shared files, both on the server and other computers using the usual "//computername/directory" sharing.

If this is all you're looking for, then Win 8 Pro will be fine (I haven't tried Win 8 standard edition, so can't speak for that)

Hope that helps

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Correct. Domain join and network services you'll want 2008 Pro.

If that gives you problems and you find you have to roll back to Windows 7, the license is convertible backwards to a Windows 7 Pro license also.

4. jent thread starter macrumors 6502a

jent

Sounds good. On a side-note, how can I access these Windows shared network drives from a Mac running Mountain Lion?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server -> smb://computername/directory

B