Windows 8 has failed to install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AppleTecFan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

I have trouble installing Windows 8 on my 2012 15" MacBook Pro

I currently use windows 7 on my bootcamp partition works fine, tried upgrading to windows 8, with the windows 8 assistant goes through the loops. When installing seems to be going fine but then at some point during the process the screen just goes black and turns off; thinking this is part of the install, I left it do its thing. But 45 minutes later still the same status so I turn on my Mac boots into windows and shows the boot logo but goes into a black screen state, I force turn off then reboot again, then it saids "windows has failed to install restoring previous version of windows" and restores back to windows 7.

Anyone know why this is happening? I really want windows 8 on my computer

2. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Perhaps the upgrade process for Windows 8 doesn't deal well with Bootcamp. I would try backing up your Windows files and formatting the bootcamp partition and doing a fresh install of Windows 8. A clean install will work better than an upgrade anyway. I'd also do some searching to see if people have done Windows 8 with Bootcamp. I'm sure people have done it though. Upgrading from 7 to 8, maybe not.

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I don't believe Windows 8 is officially supported yet.

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Installed W8 on a rMBP using the W7 drivers with minimal issue. I would do as suggested above, re run boot camp assistant and install from scratch.