Windows 8 Installation help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nlschultheis, Jul 24, 2013.

1. nlschultheis macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am new to the forums and to partitioning hard drives and am looking for some assistance. I have a mid 2011 21.5'' iMac that I am attempting to partition and install windows 8 via bootcamp.

I have been reading all i could find all over the internet and watching various instructional videos to get an idea of what to do. I understand the technical aspects of the entire process, but I am stuck in a few key areas where I thought someone could help provide some insight to.

I recently downloaded a full version of windows 8 pro from a secondary website provided by my employer (educational discount), and have been provided with a windows 8.exe file. I do not have access to a windows based computer to open up the .exe file in order to create a bootable .iso file (with the end goal of making a bootable USB drive).

I know there are programs such as winehq that makes OS X able to extract .exe files, but I am weary to do this with an OS file. Is this a legitimate route to go?

Or...All of the other things I have read are about downloading the preview .iso version provided by Microsoft for free to install windows 8 and using that as a bootdrive. Will I be able to install the full version I purchased within the windows 8 preview version after the installation is complete? Or will this create some file problems within Windows 8 as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

N

2. iThinksimple macrumors member

iThinksimple

secondary website, where it's ?
    If you have license serial key number, everything will be ok, i would recommend you to download original Windows 8 .iSO file from Official Microsoft website,
    if you don't have license serial number, then you can buy directly from Microsoft store, When or before your preview period time is ends,

btw, how large size of windows 8.exe file you have?