Windows 8 Installation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by I AM THE MAN, Sep 25, 2011.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

I downloaded the developers version of Windows 8 but It just is not working on my Macbook Pro. I've downloaded the 64xbit version (3.9 GB) and burned it into a disc. When I go to the BootCamp installation, it does not recognize it. Anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It won't be supported by BCA (Boot Camp Assistant) until it is released.

You need to try it without BCA holding your hand. Use BCA to partition your HDD. Insert your W8 DVD and reboot your Mac holding Alt during the boot. Then select the W8 disc from the boot selector and install as if you were on a PC.

B

3. teameurox macrumors regular

This is what you have to do if you want to get it up and running. All in all with bootcamp drivers installed runs pretty smooth for just a developers preview

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

What about just using Virtual Box? Other sites indicate it will work/

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The OP was asking about Boot Camp, i.e. a native install. For a VM install, just point it at the ISO file.

B

6. I AM THE MAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your comments. I eventually just burned the disc on my Windows 7 Partiton (on my iMac) and then just inserted it onto my Macbook Pro and installed it via Bootcamp at a breeze. Thanks for your comments!

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

8. teameurox macrumors regular

Performance wise I have found it to faster than my windows 7 64 install. I did not take in consideration the few hangs and issues due the fact that it is still only a developer preview, but all in all Windows 8 is showing quite a bit of progression from Microsoft.

9. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Lies! Boot Camp Assistant worked perfectly on my Air. The only hitch was installing the downloaded support drivers after Windows 8 was already installed. The workaround is to hack the MSI file to check if you're running windows 6,2 instead of 6,1 (6,2=windows 8) and boom the MSI runs and all the Windows 7 drivers are installed. I think the software I used for this was called Orca but it was over a week ago and I don't remember for sure.

It was a huge hassle but I had fun. Hours of tinkering and searching to fix it with no help and decided to just hack the installer.

This being said, I really don't like Windows 8 at all. It seemed cool from afar but it's too "back and forth". Honestly, it being a laptop, I prefer Windows 7 over Windows 8 on my boot camp partition. Have 8 atm but will be switching back.

As for 8 on a tablet.. who knows. Maybe the issue is that the multitouch gestures don't work right with Macs on Windows. Or maybe they do, and I'm simply too spoiled by Lion.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sigh. Methinks the install was such a hassle that you forgot that it gave you the same error message the OP got. Or, you just worked around it without noticing.

BCA is picky about which versions of Windows it will recognize. Apple didn't support W7 either until the retail release.

B

11. LeakedDave macrumors regular

I didn't get a single error until Windows 8 was installed and booted up and it was time to install the drivers from the downloaded install media. Even prior to that everything worked except right-clicking.

It recognized my burnt DVD just fine to install it.

12. iTalkappleosx macrumors newbie

Windows 8 Preview

All i no is in Parallels you have to select other, in order for Parallels to recognize it, so try other in bootcamp.

13. joe1946, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

joe1946 macrumors regular

I was going to install W8 Dev Preview on my i7 256GB MacBook Air but I think I will wait for the retail version in 2012 and by then bootcamp should have all the W8 drivers . I have W8 on my 6-core AMD homebuilt PC and it's a real slug and I think it must be a driver issue.