Windows 8 made me do it.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryan9979, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ryan9979 macrumors newbie

Hi all. Windows user here, since I had my first taste of Windows 8 I went and hooked up a friends mini and reloaded fresh with mountain lion. Like what I see so far and thinking about switching completely. A few quick questions I have not found sufficient answers to on google.

1) Is there any way to set a default when you open a new finder window it always opens to "applications" instead of 'all my files'?

2) When I set a network location to be persistant and reconnect after a reboot it not only connects but after logging in it opens a finder window for every one. I just have to close them all right away.

3) The finder window shows a few items under the 'shared' area on the left that dont actually have valid shares is there any way to limit what it sees as shared? one it sees is my windows 7 laptop that has no shares other than the default c$ and other hidden shares. When connecting it fails.

4) How to make valid shares open faster. I have a samba server on an ubuntu box that has very relaxed permissions sine it in internal only and when opening it says 'connecting' for about 2 or 3 seconds every time it is browsed to.

5) any way to show / in favorites in finder? just want to be able to browse to the root of the drive without having to have the drive icon in the desktop.

6)Home/ End keys to work universally in all applications like they should? home snaps the cursor to the beginning of a line and end to the end. (this one is just dreaming, seen enough people out there asking for this and all the answers are "just press this 13 key combination and it will work")

All of these are small annoyances but can add up and make me pull my hair out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

RC

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

1. Finder/Preferences/General/New Finder windows show: (pick from drop down or choose other if not listed)

2. I hope someone has an answer to this!

3. dan1eln1el5en macrumors 6502

dan1eln1el5en

1) already answered.
    2) no, network connection and it re-opening finder windows are different, it's when you reboot there is a little tick with "Reopen windows on restart" or something like that, it's a rather new feature and can be disabled permanently somewhere in System Prefs.
    3) In finder preferences you can remove things, just like someone added items to be displayed all the time. When you connect to a server or similar you can tell it to automatically reconnect or not a little tick somewhere. Or the right side just drang and drop the things out.
    4) hmmm.... good question, perhaps that "reconnect at logon" or similar, so it logs on at startup. to avoid the 2-sec delay
    5) yes, drag and drop or finder prefs.
    6) OS X is different than Win ;) use CMD+left/right key to jump to begining or end of line or alt+left/right key to jump a word forward/backward

enjoy your new OS :)

4. ForkHandles macrumors regular

ForkHandles

One of the most frustrating this about a Mac is that you can do almost anything you like as long as you can remember the order of key presses.

For example, for months I tried to live without the delete key, eventually I learnt that Fn + backspace would do the job.

Once your in, your in, it provides a clean and stable environment in which to get work done.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You'll see that option in the popup window that appears when you shutdown the Mac.

6. richard2, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016

richard2 macrumors regular

richard2

1. Yes; however, Launchpad provides a faster way of opening applications.

5. Yes:

1. In Finder, press command-comma.
    2. Open the Sidebar tab.
    3. Enable the option DevicesHard disks. (By default, this option is only partly-enabled, which is indicated by a horizontal line in its box.)

6. What keyboard are you using? In most applications, home (fn-left) scrolls to the top of a window, and command-up moves the cursor to the top of a window or field.