Windows 8 on '09 MBP: Blank screen

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AdrianK, Oct 24, 2012.

1. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I've installed Windows 8 on to my MBP by wiping the entire internal HDD and installing from a disc (8 Pro x64).

Holding option while booting only shows "EFI Boot". If I select it, I get the Windows logo with the indeterminate progress indicator for a few seconds, then an entirely blank screen. The backlight isn't on and the brightness keys are unresponsive (due to lack of drivers I guess). The audio-out jack is outputting optical audio like Windows normally does when there are no audio drivers. Eventually it just reboots.

If I boot in to OS X I can see that of the 3 partitions created by the installer, the last contains 15GB of data, so Windows is definitely installed.

Even more odd, If I start the mac without using option to choose a partition, I just get a prompt to insert a bootable disc (no Windows logo or spinner).

Anyone have any ideas? I installed the Dev preview a while back in exactly the same way and it installed fine on the first attempt.

2. qianlicc macrumors newbie

omfg, got da exact same issue, just unable to install a clean version of windows on mac using usb :( help needed

3. inket macrumors regular

inket

4. AdrianK thread starter macrumors 68020

I now have 8 working on my '09 MBP by installing a fresh copy of 7 x64 from a DVD, then mounting my Windows 8 ISO and running the updater. It rebooted about 4 times during the install but after that it's fine.

I'm still having the same issue with VS2012 I had when running the DP: it hangs the entire system during the final stages of install (or reinstall) *sigh*.

5. inket macrumors regular

inket

Nice!

I got it to install today using this method (without creating the unattend.xml file). It takes around 5 hours to do the whole thing but luckily you only have to do it once because the result is a winclone image that can be restored in 10 minutes.

(I'd upload the resulting image but I think it has some of my info from the initial VirtualBox install/setup.)

AdrianK, you should try installing VS2012 from a VM. You can boot the bootcamp partition inside a VM using VMware Fusion (Parallels or VirtualBox might be able to, too. But I haven't tested)