Windows 8 on 2012 MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aaron5566, Jul 19, 2012.

1. aaron5566 macrumors regular

Has anyone tried the Windows 8 Beta Customer Preview on the 2012 MacBook Air? How is it? Is it full of bugs? Do you need to install any missing drivers? I have the 128gb SSD and am wondering how much space should I give it. I plan to use Windows for gaming purposes but I have no idea how to get Windows on my Mac as I'm new to Mac. Can anyone help me out with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kmistr01 macrumors newbie

It works great. The windows 7 drivers work thus far. I gave 43gigs of my 128hd to windows 8 so i can run swtor. I installed swtor on a usb3 drive and it works great. No complaints.

3. jmgag03 macrumors member

So you installed your games on an external drive? And it runs at a decent speed?

4. Kmistr01 macrumors newbie

Well the only game i use windows for is swtor and it works fine. Load times are pretty fast. I am sure if the game was installed directly onto the HD it would be faster, but i dont have to wait more than 10 to 20 seconds for the game to load. I run the game using medium settings and it runs smooth. I have been very impressed with my 2012 macbook air. I run Diablo 3 on osx off the SSD and its lighting fast and i run that game using high/medium settings. Looks beautiful, runs great.

5. asting macrumors 6502

Other than slower loading, nothing will be affected. Perhaps slowdowns in large open games as new cells are loaded.

6. ketchup4life06 macrumors member

I downloaded/ran windows 8 pre release build the other day via Parallels. It worked flawlessly. No lag/bugs that I could see off the bat. I haven't tried any games through it, but i am sure they would work just fine as long as the HD4000 could handle them!

7. Kmistr01 macrumors newbie

Yup, everything runs great.

8. goinskiing macrumors 6502a

goinskiing

Works great here, except for the same problems that plague the Win 7 installs, IE lack of turbo boost on i7. Other than that it is great.