Windows 8 on 2012 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hogsox9, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Hogsox9 macrumors newbie

First off, sorry if this is a repost, I've read so much info online my brain is fried.

My question, I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows Vista 64bit. I recently bought a new Macbook Pro and would like to use bootcamp to get windows 8 on to it.

1) Could I download Windows 8 as an upgrade to my Toshiba then use that upgrade media to bootcamp onto the Macbook?
    2) Could I do a clean install using Windows 8 Upgrade or would it have to be from a system builder version.
    3) I've read where you can do a clean install using the upgrade versions but that might involve more technical expertise than I own (as evidenced by this poorly thought out question).

I guess what I'm asking is what's the least expensive and easy way to get windows on my new macbook. Thanks for the help. I've read this forum for years and never posted.

2. kensic macrumors 6502

People say any windows "upgrade" key requires the previous windows version on the computer first.....HOWEVER, in my opinion, you do not, because i have done plenty of fresh installs using the windows "upgrade" key.

So base on the above experience, as long as you have a windows 8 key *doesn't how you get it, from retail box, from upgrade program, ect, ect* you should be able to do fresh install and just type in the key when it asks for during the initiate windows set up.

But i would advice you waiting to OSX 10.9 to come out, because only then Apple official supports windows 8.

hope this answers your question

3. Hogsox9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Did some more reading and looks like a "double install" would most likely work as well. Thanks again.

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

The same registry entry and command line "rearm" which worked for Windows 7 upgrades also works fine for Windows 8 upgrade to avoid the double-install hassle. Google should quickly find your answer.

5. Hogsox9 thread starter macrumors newbie