Windows 8 on a Late 2008 MBP? Yes, No, Maybe So?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BigBuckeye1, Jul 21, 2013.

1. BigBuckeye1 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

I've encountered some not so slight problems running Windows 8 on my Late 2008 MBP. I'm perfectly aware that my system is not "technically" able to run windows 8 in Apple's eyes, but I was able to install and run my windows partition flawlessly in December of last year by using the bootcamp 4.0 drivers. Until now. :(

I recently downloading a heap of Windows downloads that I had lazily avoided, and went to reboot in order to finish the update installations. To my surprise, my smooth running multi-functional Windows partition now halted at a black screen VERY early in the boot up process no matter what workaround i tried. I couldnt even come close to reaching the windows emblem with the spinning white circles and the "blinking cursor" problem many people encounter seems like a step higher than where I'm at. At this step in the boot up process the white cursor flicks on once and then it disappears and leaves me to look at a black screen in distress.

After realizing I couldn't access my windows partition whatsoever to solve the problem, I decided to uninstall windows 8 via bootcamp (I dont keep any important files on my windows partition, mostly applications accessible for download through the internet). After fishing out my windows 8 64 bit OEM disk I used for the first install, I proceeded to follow the same steps as before. I kept the DVD I used with the working drivers from bootcamp so I was able to skip that download step. I partitioned my disk and clicked install, hoping things would run smoothly. At this point, I had seen that apple had stated my system wasn't compatible with windows 8 and was a little scared. Shortly after starting the install, I reached the same point as before. The cursor flicked on then off and left me with a black screen.

Im guessing its a graphics driver issue, im running an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics card and once again have a Late 2008 MBP. ANY recommendations would be super appreciated considering i cant even install the dang thing. Thanks for reading my short novel and thanks in advance for any help :)

2. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Partition in DU and boot from the DVD and don't use bootcamp..

I put 7 Pro x64 on my 2007 MacBook that way but I had to install the drivers separately not with the package installer.

3. BigBuckeye1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply GermanyChris! But unfortunately it brought me to the same black screen. I think it has something to do with windows 8, but I just cant figure out what I'm doing differently than my first successful install. Either way, thanks for the reply :)

4. Memole macrumors member

you can run it windows 8 on your macbook

even i can run it without any problems in my really old black macbook from 2007 :)

i usually ignore what apple says blah blah blah just get the drivers from net install it seperatley one by one and you are good to go and only thing i used from bootcamp drivers where keyboard and touchpad drivers :)

5. BigBuckeye1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Memole!

But that doesn't really fix my problem considering I cant get into my windows partition to install the drivers :confused: