Windows 8 on Bootcamp (With OS X and Win 7?)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by chrtran, Sep 16, 2011.

1. chrtran macrumors newbie

Quick question about installing Windows 8 on my MBP (late 2010 running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.6).

I currently have two partitions for my hard drive -- a 430GB OS X portion and a 65GB Windows 7 portion (Bootcamp). I want to try out Windows 8, but given that its just a preview, I'm not planning on overwriting my Windows 7 portion.

Is it safe/possible to create (and install Windows 8) on a third partition through Bootcamp? I'll be taking the storage from the OS X portion, and I'll probably end up deleting Windows 8 after a few weeks. I already backed up my important files.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

If you want to use Boot Camp, you're out of luck. If you already have a Windows partition, Boot Camp only gives the option of erasing that partition. Now, if you are willing to use a 3rd-party program like rEFIt, it'll probably be doable (fairly easily too).

3. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

It might be interesting but you wont be able to edit/add partition with a mac utility. My advice, if you want to test W8 at home, get a USB Hard Drive, partition it in 2 (1 for OS, the other for random data) and boot on it. Problem solved, you keep your file with a zero risk of messing up nor OSX nor W7 :D

4. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

you could also you freebie virtualbox
    or paid parallels desktop 7 or VMWare Fusion 4 to run Windows 8 on your computer

^ Virtual OS

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I believe Windows refuses to boot from USB drives.

6. ThisFool, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

ThisFool macrumors newbie

tripple boot

it is actually possible to have 3 or more partitions. you just need to create it with disk utility. insert windows cd and install. after install insert leopard/snow leopard disk for bootcamp install (drivers). you can also if you have lion create a disk via bootcamp utility in lion.

----------

you can backup your excisting windows 7 partition with any mainstream backup utillity. I use Redo or WinClone (this one is a OSX app).
    if bootcamp, which is on the snow leopard disc, does not install correctly try compatibility mode or enter the apple folder en install manually each driver including applesoftwareupdate which you find in one of the folder.

----------

currently triple boot Lion/Win7 64-bit/Win8 consumer prev 64-bit. installed bootcamp drivers till bootcamp 3.3 on late 2008 13" MacBook using also Refit as a bootmenu.