Windows 8: Playing iTunes music from music application

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BrownManUPS, Jul 8, 2012.

1. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I decided to bootcamp my MBA to run Windows 8, and the process worked well using an external USB.

I want to be able to access my iTunes media on my Mac partition to just listen to it, not write or add more music. I heard that Bootcamp now allows for read only access to HFS+ files, but every single file I try to open on the Mac partition doesn't open. Images, pdfs, etc. What am I missing to get this to work?

Thanks

2. nyolc8, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012

nyolc8 macrumors regular

I'm having the same problem, in Windows 8 (RTM pro activated), Music app doesn't shows my HFS partition music, I added iTunes folder to Windows Music library in File Explorer.
    Is this the applehfs driver problem?:confused:

Edit.: Music app doesn't plays music from HFS partition even if I open the music file directly from the app.

Edit2.: Same situation with Videos app

Any help?

3. thomaskc macrumors 6502

I don't know if this is common knowledge but I think it's a bootcamp + win8 thing, because it seems to work just fine in win7. I haven't tried to get itunes to access anything directly but I have access to all files from win7 other than that.

I am curious though, is there any other issues by running windows8 rtm through bootcamp? cheers

4. tdar macrumors 6502a

Have you loaded the Bookcamp Windows Driver package? You'll have full read access to the HFS+ Data with their driver loaded. To load it on Windows 8 right click on the file and select Troubleshoot Compatability (Program ran on a older version of windows).

5. nyolc8 macrumors regular

bootcamp driver installed, everything works in Windows 8 normal desktop view... just the new metro apps don't read files from the mac partition.

6. tdar macrumors 6502a

Yes true. Your desktop drivers do not work in Metro. Metro apps will need to be extended within the app. Load iTunes on the desktop and all will go fine. (or use Windows media player)

7. nyolc8 macrumors regular

So Windows 8 is broken (not fully working) on Mac now. :(
    Waiting for bootcamp driver update...

8. tdar macrumors 6502a

No it's the design of windows 8. Metro apps do not use plug in's from the system. A app developer would add support for whatever extention they want to support. So in this case Microsoft (the app developer) would have to add support for reading HPS+ volumes. That's unlikely. Note that any of your Desktop apps (including iTunes ) work fine.

As a different example of how this works, find a web site that requires flash, It will work on desktop IE but not on Metro IE as Metro IE has no flash support from the desktop plugin.

9. nyolc8 macrumors regular

I read somewhere (and checked myself too) that hfs partitions not recognized as fully internal drive. And I read that metro apps doesn't work with external drives... So I think if apple modify hfs partition driver to show up as fully internal drive (if it's possible), than maybe metro apps could work too...:rolleyes:

10. Godfrey macrumors newbie

I might be wrong, but I think Microsoft apps need write permissions in order to keep their library database or something like that. Maybe that file is written on each folder in the music library. Can someone with parangon HFS+ try to include their mac os itunes library onto windows 8 music library and see if microsoft apps can see those files?