Windows 8 poor wifi performance

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by maflynn, May 30, 2014.

1. maflynn, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I suddenly started incurring some extreme performance issues while in windows 8.

I've narrowed it down to the Air Port extreme/dsl modem. I'm not having any problems when I boot into OSX, only win8. I tether my phone and use that connection and its [relatively] fast. Go back onto airport extreme and its slow.

Here's the result of the speed net test.

OSX
    [​IMG]

Windows
    [​IMG]

Rebooted both the router and the airport extreme and that helped the performance a little bit. Download speed when from 0.13 to 4. Upload it was about the same.

The only change that occurred was I took my computer offsite and was using it wirelessly - it was tethered to my phone. When I returned home and turned it back on bam - wicked bad throughput.

Any advice would be welcome.

Its some sort of driver issue with windows. I've narrowed it down that far because I reset my DLS modem, and used that instead of AE and in OSX it connects fine but in windows - same thing.

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Can you go into Device Manager and get the Hardware ID of the WiFi adapter?

Do a search for devmgmt.msc, expand Network Adapters, double click the Wifi card, go to Details and then use the drop down box to switch to Hardware IDs.

After that you can use the ID to search for a newer/older driver version or I'd be happy to link you to one (if you post the ID here).

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's you go
    I'm not sure which one I need to be searching on

broadcom_ids.png

4. Quad5Ny, May 30, 2014

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

>_< Apple always uses impossible to find hardware id's for their Wifi chipsets. It is not even listed on Microsoft's driver catalog.

This driver is dated 12/13/2013 (I think it is the latest): http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39407288/BCM43XX_6.30.223.215.zip - You can install it by double clicking the file or if it doesn't want to update, use 7zip to extract it and then manually update the card in device manager.

P.S. If your curious where it came from, I downloaded the 900MB BootCamp 5.1.5621 package and extracted it from there. I would have posted a newer one but like I mentioned above, it is impossible to find.

P.P.S. The wireless card is a 2.4/5GHz a/b/g/n 3x3 (Antenna) Broadcom BCM4331.

5. maflynn, May 30, 2014

maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Awesome dude thanks :D

Looks like I had a number of issues that needed to be corrected.
    First my drivers were not what they should have been, thanks Quad5Ny for the help. I also saw that I was having wireless issues - something my wife was complaining about for a while. My laptop was hardwired in so I didn't notice it.

Because I have a rMBP with a thunderbolt Ethernet dongle, It interferers with Windows ability to sleep, so I'm on wifi. I started noticing the issues as well. I replaced the Airport Extreme with a NetGear router and I'm flying again :D