Windows 8 Pro on MBA 2011 w/ Mountain lion when new bootcamp version?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MiamiC70, Oct 22, 2012.

1. MiamiC70 macrumors regular

Windows 8 Pro on MBA 2011 w/ Mountain lion when new bootcamp version?
    Windows 8 Pro release is 4 days away so when is Apple going to be releasing updated bootcamp drivers? They must have these ready to go and testing for some time now so anyone have any info? I am picking up Windows 8 pro 64bit from my company and want to upgrade my current bootcamp os which is Windows 7 pro 64bit.

THX

2. MiamiC70 thread starter macrumors regular

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just run it in parallels temporarily until updated Bootcamp drivers are issued. Asking us to guess Apple's rollout is not going to give you an answer.

Windows 7 drivers arrived a few weeks after windows 7, so take that into account.

I'm using Windows 8 on my updated Windows 7 installation and the drivers that were installed in 7 are still working grand in 8.

4. Brenster macrumors 6502

Have you done an in place upgrade over your Win 7 boot partition? And everything works?

Running Win7 via boot camp and the Win8 RTM Enterprise Evaluation via Parallels 7. Given that you can only buy Win8 upgrade versions at retail, I'm tempted to upgrade my Win7 boot camp via an in place upgrade. Anything to be aware/mindful of when doing the upgrade?

My biggest bugbear running Win8 in Parallels is OSX honoring mouse gestures and hot corners rather than the guest OS. Otherwise Win8 runs just fine in a virtual.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep it did for me anyway. Though whilst function keys are working on my keyboard, I no longer get the indicator on screen, but no big deal for me.

I've have had issues with some of my software not working, a number of games and things have stopped working. Hope when Win 8 releases proper (developers release patches to fix those games that are broken by it)...

6. shadeslayer macrumors newbie

Last time windows 7 was released on 22 July 2009, but apple drivers for windows 7 came on 19 Jan 2010.
    So if apple took 6 months to release drivers for windows 7 when windows vista and 7 had no marginal difference in driver architecture, it would take apple more than 6 months as windows 8 is completely different, and apple need to up its gestures, video drivers, power management/battery stuff and more to make Windows 8 perfectly usable for its customers.