Windows 8 Professional

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Silmarien, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Silmarien macrumors member

So because I am an IT student I got my hands on the final edition of Windows 8 Professional. I was thinking of installing in on my 2012 2.3 cMBP but when I went to boot camp assistant there were choices only for Windows 7. My question is, would I have any problems if I installed Windows 8. Any compatibility issues? Its not like I need to install it now. I could wait till the official release and then Apples support for it but I wanted to give it a try.

2. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Apple will release an update to bootcamp for sure. It's better to wait and obtain the release that will work the best.

3. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I would wait until the drivers are out. I tired installing Windows 8 on my MacBook Pro using the version 4.0 of the Boot Camp drivers and the experience was miserable.

4. Silmarien thread starter macrumors member

5. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

When you don't need most best performance you could also install as virtual machine. No gaming speeds. But enough to do basic stuff.

6. Silmarien thread starter macrumors member

I'd prefer to run windows natively since I might need the power to do stuff. I dont mind the wait. Thank you for your reply!

7. thomaskc macrumors 6502

I have a macbook pro 2012 (non retina) and I'm running windows8 pro without any issues, everything works, touchpad, audio etc.

There is a few tweaks and strange approaches to get for instance audio to install correctly, but it's all doable.

8. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Hm, I wonder if I'm having problems because I'm using an older laptop. I was trying to install Windows 8 on a mid-2009 MacBook Pro.

9. thomaskc macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure it's harder to get certain things running on the older models... What specifically I can't say as.. I've never owned one or tried. But my 2012 model runs win8 as the main system for work and gaming every day, no problems.

10. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

I have Win8 Pro, RTM, Activated. No issues at all. Its soooo damn fast. Bootup time on HDD 4 seconds. Never going down to Win7.

11. chrisvee macrumors regular

I have Windows 8 (RTM, Professional, 64-bit) running on my 2010 13" via Boot Camp. Runs pretty well.

I upgraded my W7 partition to W8 using the installation disc. I've read that if you're upgrading it's a good idea to uninstall the Boot Camp drivers prior to upgrading to W8 and re-installing afterwards.

12. rohanprabhu macrumors newbie

I am running Windows 8 RTM using Boot Camp. Everything works fine.. but there are a few issues with graphic drivers performance. For me, the gaming is just not good (given the configuration.. I expected a lot better). But apart from that.. it runs decently fine.

13. chrisvee macrumors regular

Be sure to update to the latest drivers! I updated to the latest drivers on my 13" 2010 MBP's GeForce 320M and everything runs great!

14. identity macrumors 6502

How did you guys bootcamp Win 8? I'm trying to bootcamp Win 8 Pro RTM but bootcamp assistant's not letting me.

15. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I will install Windows 8 Professional on my PC for better performances :) Note to others I only have a Mac mini and MBA 11" so best to install on PC.

16. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

What happens when your try?

17. identity macrumors 6502

It says something like bootcamp assistant can't find drivers because it doesn't support windows 8 or something like that. I can't remember exactly what it said but it wouldn't allow me to install windows 8.

18. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I've had a problem like that when I tried to install the 3.0 drivers from my Snow Leopard disc. I found that if I ran the setup in compatibility mode, it worked and installed everything.

19. identity macrumors 6502

Thanks anyways, I ended up uninstalling Windows 8 and installed Win 7 Pro instead. I think I'll wait until Apple releases new drivers when Windows 8 is released.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Do the upgrade install over Windows 7 and the Bootcamp drivers will continue to function. They did for me anyway :)

21. ChimeraUK macrumors newbie

I would wait.

I would wait for official Windows 8 support on Boot Camp. I managed to install the Windows 8 Pro upgrade over a copy of Windows 7 Home Basic and it's a little patchy to say the least. If it doesn't BSOD within about 2 minutes of booting then it's usually fine but unfortunately it often Blue Screens and I've not been able to find the problem despite hours of googling and trying different solutions.

I've heard it said that Win 8 is based on a Win 7 foundation (don't know if thats true) and that most of the Win 7 drivers from Boot Camp work fine but it seems users experiences vary greatly among users in this respect.

On a positive note when it works I actually quite like it. Will have to make sure any STEAM purchases are installed on the MAC side where available though for gaming stability. Hope Boot Camp support comes out soon.....